Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 help

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by s10350power, Dec 5, 2002.

1. s10350power

s10350power Registered Member

Ok check this weird [censored] out. My hubs are "locked" as it shows inside by the transfer case 4x4 handle, And my Front drive shaft spines but I have no four wheel drive. What do u guys think it might be? Gears? Or maybe the vacuum front axle engagement systems maybe it says its engaged but they really arent Thannks /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The light that shows when the front axle is engaged is activated by a switch near the spot that the vacuum actuator cable goes into the housing. The shift fork that engages the central disconnect closes the switch when it moves to the engaged position. If that switch is closed, then the front end should be engaged.

A common failure on the S-10's is the vacuum switch that sends vacuum to the front axle disconnect. It's mounted on top of the transfer case and costs around $18 at the Chevy dealer. When it gets old it sticks and doesn't send vacuum to the front axle when you shift into 4WD. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif But when that switch failed on mine, the front axle light also wouldn't come on...

3. s10350power

s10350power Registered Member

Hey thanks alot i got the posi lok unit from 4wheelparts.com and it works great /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif