Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 hub swamp posssible or not ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by just-got-1, Oct 23, 2006.

1. just-got-1

just-got-1 Newbie

i want to take off those ugly manual locking hubs off so i can put some regular rims but i still want 4 wheel drive is that possible and what parts would i need?:confused:

2. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

uhhh, care to elaborate? "regular rims"?

I have auto hubs but will have manuals once I put my 14/44 in. You should just stick w/ them, sure you have to actually get your butt out of the truck but reliable.

So what rims are you wanting to run?

-Avery

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I don't know what rims he referring too.
    You have 2 options.
    The early-mid 70's "full time" option, which would require the hub, and a 203 transfer case.
    But, according to your profile, your truck is an 89, so you can just put back the 'auto' hubs that came on these trucks. Check a junkyard, dealers still cary these things too I think.
    The auto hubs are not as reliable as the manual ones.Sometimes they don't engage if it's too cold, they rely on the spinning the axle shaft to heat an little ring in there that engages the hub. I actually pulled a lady out of the ditch once, she was running in 2wd in her little S10 blazer of the same era (same hub design) on a snowy day, lost it, in the ditch she tried to engage the 4wd, the hubs were buried in ice water/wet snow in the ditch, and they wound't engage.

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

if your looking for the earlier full time style i have some i could trade you send me a email about it

5. matneyr

matneyr Registered Member

I don't know exactly what he means by "regular rims" but I would never, ever recommend swapping down from manual to auto wheel hubs. I've broken three auto locking hubs now in bound up situations, and bought a set of Warn conversion hubs this past Sunday.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think what he's trying to say is that he'd like to run wheels with actual centercaps. You know, like a 2wd vehicle has.

I guess if you went IFS you could do this, but I suspect it would be pretty prohibitive to do (if possible) on a solid axle front truck.

This is one of the reasons I *like* the stock rims. With the stock "center caps" the front hubs don't look quite so ridiculous as they do when there is nothing around the hub.

7. just-got-1

just-got-1 Newbie

wanted to put some 24's or 26's on it with center caps . would the 4x4 auto hubs work of a 90's tahoe or burban

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

they didnt have hubs, so no.

if you're wanting to put 24s or 26s on it, then you're not worried about anything but pavement pounding, so put a set of auto hubs on it and call it a day.

9. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Nope, 90's trucks have a completly different hub design.

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

x2
    -Harrison

11. matneyr

matneyr Registered Member

This is just my opinion, but: Don't ruin your truck with 24 or 26 inch rims!!! Just say no! Save your money, buy a set of simple 15 or 16x8 or 10 inch black steel or Mickey Thompsons, slap on some Radial Claws or Irocs, and go four wheeling! Get some mud on it! You'll look for real, and not like a poser.