Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 IFS Chevy Van Factory

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kgblazerfive, May 4, 2005.

1. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That is weird... I'd baby it... I can't imagine it would be too easy to find spare parts on the trail or nearby junkyards...

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Bizzare!!

I thought I'd seen 'em all till I saw that one! :screwy: --wonder why such an elaborate transfer case and "V" drive setup?--and MILITARY??--I'd think a soldier could break that drivetrain in a big hurry no problem!--beats me why they would use that setup,instead of just using the NP205 and a K10 front axle like Pathfinder Industries conversions did...doesn't make much sense to me..but then,the military has done some strange things before--

Like the 66 A-100 Dodge van 4x4 military version I saw that had military axles in it factory for sale a few years ago--it had a rockwell T221 T-case and what looked like a closed knuckle front axle and a dana 60 rear in it!...and it had windows all around,and 3 bench seats in it--must have been an officers transport vehicle or something....WEIRD! :crazy:

4. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

That sounds like total BS. At best that is a Quigley 4x4 Van. There conversions are in the factory to dealer supply chain but not "Super Special Military only".

5. kgblazerfive

I don't think its military either but its a cool conversion Quigley stuff is more RV and less suspention this one is definatly a special model

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Interesting. Anyone seen this suspension setup on another thing? I haven't just wondering.

Looks like it was from some company called Vemco(refer to one of the manuals pictured). Interesting front drive concept. No application for us but I find it interesting nonetheless.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm fairly sure that the military never bought any of those. However, around that time frame, Dana did build a few 4WD vans with their V-drive system. The idea was to provide 4WD with very little increase in ride height. There are TWO front driveshafts! Each one goes to a gearbox right out at each wheel, which in turn drives only that wheel. Looked pretty strange from underneath. But the V-shape of the 2 front driveshafts is where the name came from. :cool1:

8. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Yes, where do you think the idea for the Jeep Huricane's suspension/drive system came from.

I have also seen this on other vans, but thats pretty much it.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Just scrolled down to the bottom of the page... There's a picture of the system here:

V-Drive

I'd like to just have a copy of that manual! :xmas:

10. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

im sure thats why they did it like that. To make it 4x4 but not have too much increase in the center of gravity...makes sence but is still pretty funky

11. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The May Off-Road Adventures mag has an anouncement. It was the stump Jim Allen contest and the winner was one of the Dana "V-Drive" fitted to Chevy Vans and at least one police car. Odd that this would turn up all within 2 days of my first hearing of it. :rolleyes:

12. kgblazerfive

I saw the same thing in the off road adventure and never gave it a second thought till I saw the ad in E-bay

13. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

OMG!! Well, his description is a bit off. They used to sell these to the public, they just didn't sell that well. It was a dealer option (delaer would send out to qualified shop) Anybody could have bought one. I have an old magizine ad for it, if I find it I'll scan it and post it. A neighbor where I used to live when I was a kid had one. I never rode in it, but I remember him talking to my dad telling him how it rode like a frikin tank, the unsprung weight is huge, the front end wandered everywhere. Not a family long haul vacationer.
    If it stays below 2g's, I might buy it for historical reasons, that v-drive is just hilarious. He's definatly right about the rare part, and he has the manual to-boot, a bonus.