Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 Iron rear bumper , NWP 43 gallon bas tank, who's bought one?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

4x4 Iron rear bumper , NWP 43 gallon bas tank, who\'s bought one?

I am getting ready to order a 4x4 Iron rear bumper with swing away tire carrier and maybe side armor. Questions for those of you who have one. I am also planning on installing a NWP 43 gallon steel gas tank. Can I keep my Class 3 hitch with the new gas tank? If I can't then I should get the receiver built into the bumper. Also, I am thinking of having 4x4 Iron make mine with a double swing away. One side would be the tire, the other I would mount a double gas can tray and fasten my Hi-Lift on as well. Anybody do anything like this? Back when I had my Bronco, I saw several similar designs on other rigs. Too much weight on the bumper? Suggestions? Comments? Pictures?

2. Desert Rat

Re: 4x4 Iron rear bumper , NWP 43 gallon bas tank, who\'s bought one?

54 views and nobody has either on their truck? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

nope......well at least not me.....

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Great question...now we only need an answer....

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I have the 4x4 Iron rear bumper with side armor, but no tire carrier. I had a Class 3 hitch but opted to have the reciver built into to bumper, the only problem that created was positioning of the license plate. After it was all said and done, I belive the hitch would have fit, but would have hung down below the bumper, which kinda defeats the purpose. This is one hell of a bumper and well worth price, and the side armor is a very good addition, but you will have to cut your quarter panels if you brace it properly. I did cut 3" off the rear frame so the bumper tucks neatly under the tailgate. As you can see I haven't used the hitch, but wanted it if necessary, and since it is a daily drive, the license plate is lighted, the bolts that hold the plate on have lts in them.
    [​IMG]

6. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I have looked for the pic and can not find it. I made one bumper that had double tire carriers on it for a guy in Petaluma, Cali. He was carring 2 33" spares for extended camping trips way out. I am sure I have a pic of the bumper somewhere. I will keep looking.

As for weight on the bumper it is not an issue, as for making your rear springs sag maybe. Bumper with 2 swings would be in the 150lb range plus a tire and 80lbs of gas.

I know the class III will clear if you have a 1" body lift with no mods to anything on the 8" bumper. Without a body lift you would most likely have to trim the down brackets on the receiver slightly if you cut the frame to bring the bumper forward. If you dont cut the frame, or cut it less than 3.5" I expect it would clear. As for the tank clearing I have no experience with that.

Hope that helps

7. Desert Rat

I like it. I was debating on the side armor. I don't want to cut my sheetmetal at this point because body is pretty clean.

8. Desert Rat

I'm guessing though that if I put the two gas cans and the Hi-Lift inside, I still end up with the combined weight over the back springs anyway. With double swing aways, I get more room inside for other stuff (which would be more weight I suppose). I'd love to see those double swing away pics. I don't necessarily need a Class 3 receiver. I don't plan on towing any boats. But, I thought about having the option of popping on one of those receiver shackle goodies. With the double shackles on the bumper, I guess I really don't need to. It looks like they are way substantial.

9. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Get the side armor, you won't miss the body pieces and unless you know what you are looking for you won't miss it and it also leaves options for larger tires, relocating the axle, and best of all it helps keep the body clean.
    [​IMG]

10. Desert Rat

Derf, have you got any closeups of the rear bumper, especially where the side armor mounts? I looked at your pics in the Members Gallery and it is tough to tell.

11. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i just installed this a few days ago. i also cut a few inches off the frame to get it up nice and snug. i am able to get my drop hitch into the receiver without hitting the gas tank. very solid bumper... can not wait to get a fat 37 hanging off the back...

[​IMG]

12. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The only other thing that I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is that when you tuck the bumper under the tailgate is that you loose the tailgate springs which assist in opening and closing the tailgate, it is very surprising how heavy the taigate is. I am fixing to remedy that situation by replacing it with a P/U tailgate and a soft top, which should loose at least 300+ lbs.

13. Desert Rat

My Bronco didn't have helper springs and after Herculining the inside of it, I got a good workout bench pressing it closed every time. I can live without the springs. Looks like you simply sliced off about 3-4 inches of the lower back sides to facilitate the support struts. I suppose I could manage to do that.