Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 magazines

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jrogers, Oct 4, 2000.

1. jrogers

jrogers Registered Member

I have read a least 1 or 2 issues of all of the major 4x4 magazines and cannot decide which i want to subscribe to. I see strong points in all of the magazines but have not yet seen any with a feature story on a K5. which magazines tend to cater more toward K5's and chevy? im tired of seeing so many damn jeeps and fords in those magazines. which ones do you guys get and why? thanks.

jonathan

2. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Four Wheeler and Peterson's 4Wheel and Offroad. They are the oldest and most respected 4x4 mags in the business. Both get very technical, and both have their highs and their lows. I don't think much of OFFROAD or 4x4 and Sport Utility. The first is all show trucks and the second is all jeeps. Hope this helps.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's [​IMG]

3. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I also think Fourwheeler and 4wheel&off road are the best. I have read every issue since 95 of 4wheel&offroad. I think it has most on chevrolets and K5s. I usually only buy the may, oct. and nov. issue of fourwheeler cause of TTC. 4x4 Power used to be a good mag...too bad they died..
    Didn't Peterson buy Fourwheeler?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

4. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I also think Fourwheeler and 4wheel&off road are the best. I have read every issue since 95 of 4wheel&offroad. I think it has most on chevrolets and K5s. I usually only buy the may, oct. and nov. issue of fourwheeler cause of TTC. 4x4 Power used to be a good mag...too bad they died..
    Didn't Peterson by Fourwheeler?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Yes, Peterson bought Four Wheeler. Then, E-Map bought Peterson.
    Jim '80 GMC.

It's a Wheelbase thing, You're Jeep wouldn't understand!
    http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com

6. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

it ain't a 4x4 mag, but car craft has a lot of nifty and usable stuff in it. lots of chevy mechanical stuff in it. i just got a scrip for it. i also pick up super chevy magazine once in a while.

phil

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

They quit making 4x4 Power because it cut into FourWheeler's profits.
    I thought it was the best mag while it was still around.
    Anyone know what happened to Fullsize 4x4?
    I have 2 or 3 issues then they stopped showing up at the magazin rack. In the first issue, the took a k20 and put 44's on her, feature article.
    -- Mike

8. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah, I have a couple Fullsize 4x4 mags too. I wonder what happened to them. But my favorite was definately 4x4 Power. But too bad they stopped. Their best issue was the one with the Blueprint on K5's 69 through 91'. That was a great issue. Have to frame that one oneday. But now I get Fourwheeler (which I didn't like a while back, but now I'm getting to like them a lot) and Petersons 4wheel & offroad.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Unfortunately, Full Size never made it out of its' infancy.......heard they just didn't have enough subscribers or newsstand sales to keep it afloat. Too bad, that was right up our alley.

Four Wheeler, Off Road and Four Wheel and Off Road here, probably gonna let the Off Road scrip run out tho. The other two are excellent.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

10. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Off-Road has too many chromed-up trailer queens for my taste. I only look at it when they have articles that interest me, which usually they don't.
    Another gripe is that the tech articles are either unbearably simple (how to install new locking hubs!) or rehashes of the instruction manual for some TJ bolt-on kit.
    Wow, I feel better ;)
    -- Mike

11. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I liked 4wheeler and Off road.. but now it's seems to be for "yuppie" sport ute's now.. And all show.. no go type trucks.
    I'm not really into the flashy "how many lights and shocks and rollbars can I put on my truck" stuff.
    I like the "real world" type trucks. Like on this site !!

It's better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it !

12. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

hey boss, what was the issue that gave the k5 blueprints? i might want to order a back issue of that if i can.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

13. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I got my first issue of 4x4 POWER the other day! Best 4x4 mag I had read, then I looked on the top LAST ISSUE EVER! COLLECTORS ISSUE.....damn the luck huh?

10 out of 11 people prefer Jimmys over Blazers.

14. CAPTAINK5-CT

CAPTAINK5-CT 1/2 ton status

I agree 4x4 Power was a great mag. I liked how it dealt mostly with older rides. I was pisses when I got the issue that said it was it's last. I tried to email Petersons but couldn't get the link to work.

15. Boss

Hey Shaggy,
    I think it was the May 2000 issue, but I'm not 100% on that. I'll check when I get home after work and post it here as soon as I can.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

16. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

What ever happened to FourWheeler TV? That was a cool show, even though it only came on once a month.

[​IMG] YEEEE HAWWW!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

17. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I never got to see it. I wonder if reruns are playing somewhere...? I'd like to see what it's about.
    -- Mike

18. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I get Fourwheeler, Petersons, and Off-Road. The first two are great mags. I get Off-road for the racing coverage, even though it does have a lot of trailer queens in it. This month's issue has a '94 K1500 turned into an early K5, accept for the IFS it's a pretty cool truck.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

19. Boss

20. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

thanks, bud.

matt

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!