Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 messed up

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by eightyone, Feb 8, 2006.

1. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

i got the 94 diesel 2500...and the 4 wheel drive takes forever to engage, i pull the lever on the floor and the transfer case goes into 4 by 4, and the driveshaft turns, but i guess the hubs dont lock or sumthin...i dont know how the ifs works hubs work. but it always goes in, just take a very long time, liek 3-10 minutes.

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Most likely you have a bad actuator in the front differential. It screws into the side of the diff and has some wires going to it. It's very easy to replace.

3. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

ill check it out when my fingers thaw. anyway to check if its bad, or is it cheap enough to just replace?

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

There may be a way to test it, but I wouldn't know how. The replacement cost will be over $100. My friend replaced one on his Z71 and also needed a different wiring harness, which was also easy to replace, and the total for all the parts was around $140 or $160 from GM..

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

ditch the stock actuator (actual name is Thermal Linear Actuator) and get a cable system for $110.00 gauranteed to work everytime. in these trucks the front axles are always engaged, they just arent engaged to the carrier. there are shift forks in the front diff that lock the assembly together. because of this if you get the cable system you can not engage the front axle, and put it in 4 low and then you have 2wd low if you ever need it. Best thing about the cable system is not having to wait for the linear motor to engage

6. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

where do i pick up a cable system? and how does it hook up? sounds like a solid replacement, im not a fan of computer controlled crap. i wish i was out unlockin hubs, and not worrying ablut this.

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

summit racing has em' lock up Posi-loc . i was a little off on the pricing there 170 now, but well worth it.