Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 novice, just bought 71 k5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bp71k5, Mar 31, 2006.

1. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Hi,

I just got a 71 k5 Blazer. It's got a rebuilt 327 small block. I just have some generic questions like:

1. What's the difference between a body lift and a suspension lift?

2. The front leaf springs arch downward like /\ and the back arch the oposite way like this: \/. The front of the truck feels really stiff. Are the front leaf springs bad?

3. The inside floor of the truck right above the transfer case is really hot after driving a bit. It's really hot to the touch. Is that normal?

Thanks,
    Brian

2. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

congradulations !!! sounds like a cool rig . well were to begin ? i think what you need to do is start looking thru all the tech articals and posts and start getting an idea of what is going on . there are alot of pictures of rigs in various stages of completion and whole buildups all over this board and this will give you links to other boards . as for your truck the springs sound normal probably the original ones if the front is negativley arched . the heat from the tranny is hard to guage without feeling it . a body lift seperates the body from the frame and a suspension is replacing your springs lifted springs will both be arched like your rears . this is a vaery vauge answer though start looking around and you will see alot of cool things:laugh:

3. 88-3/4t-bad boy

88-3/4t-bad boy 1/2 ton status

well like the other guy said welcome to k5. your lucky i started out with a sub in horrible shape. but anyways the difference in a body lift is that while it raises your center of gravity (bad in my opion) it's cheap and lets you fit larger tires. however it does not help you with articulation or anything else and if you get a body lift that is above 1" you generally are going to have problems since it lifts your body away from your transmission, transfer case, and in suburbans you could have a problem with fan clearance. in answer to the others it is generally a good idea to get a suspension lift. it helps articulation and you can buy a kit to replace all your springs. it also doesnt cause the the problems a body lift does. as to your transfer case. idk wat to say ive kinda just started too and i havent started on rebuilding my transfer case. but what you described doesnt happen on my sub. your going to learn alot from this site. keep on wheelin

4. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

I myself have a 71 blazer. Get used to the heat from the floor, thats where I get mine from (no heater) Your front springs are supposed to be that way. If you took them off you would notice that they go completely straight. Once they get the weight of the vehicle on them they bend. Try asking questions in the 69-72 area, we try to take care of our own.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

normal...

I've owned a 71 K5 "CST" and a 72 K5 many years back..the stock springs on all GM 4x4's look like they are sagging on the front,they were designed that way..don't worry about them..

The hot transfer case hump is normal too,both of mine got too hot to hold my hand on it for very long after a few miles on the highway..my "custom" exhast might have contributed to the heat,as the pipes were fairly close to the floor...but other "stock" K5's of similar vintage I rode in had "hot" floors too...just the nature of the beast I guess..

I never ran carpeting in either of mine,just rubber floor mats...I put 2 empty tin cans on the hump with a few tack welds to use as cupholders..I could put a hot coffee in one,and it would stay warm for 50 miles!..did it all the time when I worked 65 miles away from home..

I miss my old K5's more than any of the 73 and newer trucks I've owned since..classic good looks,and they were built much sturdier than later models drive train wise...:crazy:

6. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

Do you have carpet over the floors? I don't and it can get decently hot down there. I would also reccomend a suspension lift, you can get them fairly cheap for these model trucks compared to the newer ones (Solid Axle vs. IFS).

7. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for all the help. I just got it all cleaned up and it does look like the exhaust is routed right up next to there so that would help explain the heat.

I also noticed a pretty big x-case leak so I'll probably need to replace the seals and while I'm at it, see about adding a lift kit.

It's a little too rainy so it's garaged for now. The softtop doesn't seal very well and the hard top needs a lot of repair work. Thanks for the help, I've got tons more questions I'll ask about in the 69+ section.

Brian