Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 park in colorado

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by google, Jun 6, 2005.

1. google

google 1/2 ton status

Any of the guys here been to the 4X4 park between Pueblo and Pueblo West off of Highway 50? Just wondering. That was the first place I've ever been wheeling. You can find a lot of cool things there.

2. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

No, but thanks for the idea! I didn't even know it existed. Do you know the name or how much they charge? Might be worth checking out this week as that would only be about a 30 minute drive for me. BTW, just to stay out of trouble with everyone here, things like this really belong in the lounge. :cool1:

3. google

google 1/2 ton status

Sorry, wasn't a member when I posted it earlier. I just finally broke down a few hours ago.

I don't know if the place has a name. There is no charge or supervision there, but it is all fenced off and a lot of it is taken over by dirt bikes and the sort. Just drive your way through the little stuff to the south west portion of it to find some good truck areas. When you get off of I-25 south onto 50west, head out of town. After you leave town, it will be a left turn at the first or second stop light... don't remember... then the next right will take you into it. You really can't miss it. Lots of fields around there and then a big built up dirt farm. Has one of thos tall spine things too. Like 200 yards up a 6 ft wide mountain. Mud holes and jumps for the extream bunches. I was too wuss to use any of the stuff when I was in pueblo. I had just gotten my 2000 dodge ram. By the time I got rid of the ram, it had 36" mudders on it and gashes down the sides and the bumper was bairly hanging on. It was a mess, but I loved it even more for it :grin: :grin:

4. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It's not really an organized park. The locals call it PMI since the area is directly adjacent to the Dragstrip and Quarter midget track. Any time of the day you will see motorcycles and quads on it. Actually, last week some dude from the springs got killed on his bike out there. Came off of a jump wrong, smacked his handlebars with his chest then got flipped off. Sad, he died on the scene before the chopper could get him out of there.

As far as wheeling PMI in a truck, its fairly basic stuff when it's dry. You just climb up and down all the little short hills. Some can be steep and most are loose dirt to keep it a challenge. Still, most if not all can be climbed by a stock rig with open diffs. I'd stay away if it is crawling with bikes and quads though. There is no way to see them coming and can be easy to run them down. Most scoot by the late afternoon so you can head over when the bikers are loading up.

PMI in heavy rain or snow changes altogether. Lots of water turns the dirt into nasty clay-like mud. I know I got real stuck out there last year in the mud. Had to call in for a rescue from a buddy with a winch to yank me out of the gulley I was stuck in. Be real careful on the hills when they are wet, the mud is slick and gravity is not so kind. I almost rolled mine because of that.

You can get a trail report on PMI over at www.4x4trails.net Just search on Pueblo.

5. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, sounds like something fun to check out on the next rainy weekend!

6. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It can be fun thats for sure. Not so fun when your tires don't quite get the job done in the sloppy stuff though. My poor old 33's were no match for the benonite clay. Within minutes I had 4 brown slicks that no amount of wheelspin could clear out. This left me more than stuck in the bottom of a gulley I slid (almost rolled) into.

My buddy with a 3/4 6.2 burb lifted 6" on 35's came to my rescue. Being the one who was stuck, I hooked up the winch and he pulled me out of the hole I was stuck in to only pull me into a giant field of more mud. He pulled right out without any problems and started making his way for the road. Once I realized I was stuck again (which took all of about 10 seconds!) I had to call him on his cell again to come get me. Another yank to solid ground and I was free and got the heck out of there...

PMI is a good test site to run your rig on after you make some changes before you hit the real stuff. Plus if you make your way to the southwest of the area you get a pretty good view of the Pueblo Reserviour and Arkansas river. Heck I've even seen some dude out there in the summer with a ragged old K20 (every body panel a different color) and an old slide in camper out there on the highest bluffs to the south camping on the weekend. If he can make it with that old tank with a house on it's back, just about anybody here can.