Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 S10 tranny/tcase... questions

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by RodeoRob, Jul 11, 2002.

1. RodeoRob

RodeoRob Registered Member

I was told the automatic S10s with the 2.8, 3.1, and 3.4 run a 700r4 tranny... a smaller version of the large 700r4 found behind 4.3L and 350s.

If this is indeed true, I was wondering...

-what transfer case(s) come behind the 700r4 found on S10s? they're not integrated to the transmission, are they? they use drivers/passenger side output for the front driveshaft?

-will the tcases that bolt to the big (4.3) 700r4 also bolt to the small (2.8) 700r4? such as the NP208, NP205.

-the S10 700r4 uses an integrated bellhousing right?

-does the S10 700r4 share any other parts with its bigger counterpart? (ie interchangable).

-these good transmissions? anyone know the max torque load?

Thanks
    -Rob

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I was told the automatic S10s with the 2.8, 3.1, and 3.4 run a 700r4 tranny... a smaller version of the large 700r4 found behind 4.3L and 350s

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not exactly true. The 2.8L is a 60 deg V6 where a 4.3L and small block V8 are 90 deg motors. That means the 2.8 has a different bolt pattern. That bolt pattern is the only difference in the 700R4 Case.

-what transfer case(s) come behind the 700r4 found on S10s? they're not integrated to the transmission, are they? they use drivers/passenger side output for the front driveshaft?

[/ QUOTE ]
    The early trucks use a NP207 and later went to a NP241 They are Married units that bolt to the back of the tranny with an adapter. Drivers side output up front.
    -will the tcases that bolt to the big (4.3) 700r4 also bolt to the small (2.8) 700r4? such as the NP208, NP205.

[/ QUOTE ]
    The NP208 (pass side output) and NP241 (drivers side output) are the only TC's that I know came from the factory behind the 4.3 and V8 versions of the 700R4. They will bolt on with the correct adapter for that T-case. The bolt hole pattern and output shaft are the same.
    the S10 700r4 uses an integrated bellhousing right?

[/ QUOTE ]
    ALL GM factory 700R4's have an intergrated bellhousing.
    -does the S10 700r4 share any other parts with its bigger counterpart? (ie interchangable).

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes, the biggest difference is the # of clutch packs. V6 trannies use less clutch packs than V8's. There are differences from year to year such as 27 spline input shafts that were upgraded to 31 spline input shafts somewhere around 1985. Plus alot of other little upgrades (GM use the general public as a test facility on this transmission /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif )
    -these good transmissions? anyone know the max torque load?

[/ QUOTE ]
    When upgraded they are great trannies. Anything 1986 or later will have most of the nessisary upgrades, 1991 or later have a few more. I have heard on this board 600ft/lbs is easily handled by a fully upgraded tranny.

3. Jamus

Jamus Registered Member

4x4 S-10's came with either the 207, 231, or 233. I've never seen a 241 in an S-10, not to say it isn't possible. The 208 was offered in the solid axled fullsizes and had a passenger drop. This case is a good choice for people wanting to do a solid axle swap. 88 and up fullsizes used a variety of t-cases, 241, 246, and on, and on. The different numbers were for different weight ratings and control(i.e. push button or stick) One last thing, the early 207's had a smaller output shaft. Well, that's bout all I know. Hope it helps ya out.