Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 stupidity (see link)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yellowK20, Apr 1, 2003.

1. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I was surfing lookin' for muddin' sights and found this ...... not good this is exactly the kinda of stuff those SIERA CLUB jerks Use against us what these guys did was wrong and stupid ..... But the worst thing about it is that it makes all the responsible 4-wheelers look like iresponsible A$$h$%& ..... Has anyone here seen this before alot of chevs in those pics so I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes that post's here But they just closed another set of trails back in new mexico Because of Irresponsible 4-wheelers and dirt bikers tearing up fences and starting fires Etc so it really bugs me to see stuff like that sorry for the long rant /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif web page

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

It is sad for our sport/hobby that this happens, but great that they got busted and charged/fined. They deserve everything they got hit with.

What kills me is that people (successfully) use stuff like this to close everything. But you don't see them starting prohibition due to drunk drivers. You don't see them shutting down NASCAR or IRL or NHRA because of street racers.

*sigh*

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

This is the crap that give us a bad name.

4. yellowK20

Another thing that bugs me about this article is how they made it sound like there was so much irrepaiable damage done in afew months the grass will grow up and no one will ever know what happened there But the enviro"mental" activist like to make it sound so much worse than it is and yes the group that got caught got what they deserved /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

firing squad. problem solved.

j

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

That one guy should get a fine for the pinto wagon conversion. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. yellowK20

Toatally that thing is ugggggly /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Those guys are from Wyoming too. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. yellowK20

None of those guys post here do they ???? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Those guys are from Wyoming too. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I noticed that also. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I like going out to "The Big Horns" , but I'd never consitter that behavior !!!!!

11. yellowK20

it sucks cuz I bet they try to ban 4-wheeling in that park now /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

What factors go through your minds when determining if a spot is ok to wheel in or not?

I'm always worried about tresspassing or being where I'm not supposed to. Does anyone have any good rules to go by or know what the law says?

13. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif What were they thinking, seems alot of people think because their truck can do it that they can do it and that it is ok, that is why we have trails and rules, remember the Donner party?

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    What factors go through your minds when determining if a spot is ok to wheel in or not?

I'm always worried about tresspassing or being where I'm not supposed to. Does anyone have any good rules to go by or know what the law says?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I know it sounds kind of simplistic.....but if YOU don't own it, or have permission from the person who does, you don't belong there. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

If you have to "wonder"....that's probably a sign that it's not a good idea.

Maybe CK5 should establish a PayPal account and we can all donate to start buying up real estate??? Maybe we'll never get enough money to buy one of the big states like Texas, but maybe we could start small.....like Delaware, then work our way up!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I made a post a while back in the "non-4x4" forum about the legality of exploring powerline roads. For years friends and I have explored the powerline roads and backroads near our place in Ione, Wa. (near Canada). It's all state land I believe.

Now that our rigs are "growing" and friends and I look more like a 4x4 club rather than your average group on a "Sunday Drive", Ive been worried about driving up those roads.

16. yellowK20

The thing is there is a big differance Between state owned land and a state/national Park these people were tearing up a park in clear view of many people and as far as I know powerline and railroad rightaways are not legal to fourwheeel on I'd call the power company and ask them if it's legal /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

17. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

Right-of-Ways are grants of usage to a specific group or groups. Unless you are one of them, you are not entitled to be on it.

Another way to think about this is considering your back yard. Most homes (in town) have easements for utilities along the back. And, no, you sure don't want to run your truck there. So, unless it is an access easement (that has been granted to the public), you shouldn't be there.

State land, another story. You need to check on the land use policy for each parcel. I think BLM lands are probably amongst the less regulated areas (around Colorado, BLM lands are usually the ugly stuff /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

18. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I like going out to "The Big Horns" , but I'd never consitter that behavior !!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Really I live about 40 miles from there I go sleding up there let me know next time your up this way and i will take ya wheelin

19. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I can't believe it. I emailed them my comment about that page and they posted it. If it was a park I agree it was wrong but if it was state land and not blocked off and was originally torn up by previous wheelers then who knows. I wasn't there (obviously I live in washington) but it just chaps my hide how they posted the peoples names who were fined. I highly doubt they contacted every person charged and asked their permission.

Just a little ticked when alot of the state lands that I have wheeled on for years are getting closed to recreational use because of enviromentalist. I have seen them purposely not put up No Tresspassing signs then fine people for Tresspassing when there weren't any signs. Its just a real sore spot with me.

20. yellowK20

I'm sure that they don't have to ask permission to post there names cuz it was public record ..... I love playin' in the mud but what they did was messed up and gives 4wheelin' another uneeded blackeye they were in a NATIONAL Forset Just off a well travelled road I'd really like to hear the accused peoples side of the story ..... But the fact remains what they did was Illegal and they Knew or should have Known that before they started. I commend you on your response to there website I can't believe they printed it and you made some good points I think I may write a letter and give them My 2 cents on this issue they need to know that not all fourwheelere are not as irresponsible as this group/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif