Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 th400 into camaro?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by marcus, Oct 23, 2002.

1. marcus

marcus Registered Member

Being in the UK, information on US cars/trucks is a little hard to come by, so I thought I'd ask this question here as there seems to be some pretty clued up people on this board.

Will a th400 with an attached t-case fit into a 1977 Camaro...wihtout too much modification (anything can be made to fit anything with time and money!).

If so, what mods am i looking at...presumably some kind if new output shaft..? Can I just remove the t-case? Can I run with the t-case and have a 'low ratio' Camaro /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Any input gratefully received...

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If you can make it fit, all you will need is a new driveshaft to make it run.
    I had one on a Van, and even in 2wd a low range helped me a lot, during the year I drove it untill I made the full conversion to 4wd.
    By the way when I was doing the research, I found a guy that did a lot of camaros and firebirds into 4x4, but he was putting the body on a blazer frame or truck frame.

3. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Unless your camaro is lifted, the transfer case will be touching the ground. Low range will only allow a top speed of about 40 mph at high rpms in the last gear. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you remove the t-case, you'll have to get the appropriate output shaft housing.

You'd have to lift a Camaro quite a bit to get a t-case under it I imagine, not to mention some sort of body lift to clear the floor, or cut a hole so the t-case can sit up high enough...

Car tranny tunnels get narrower and shallower the further towards the rear of the car you go, and even a gear vendors overdrive unit which sits directly behind the transmission (unlike a t-case) has clearance problems in most GM cars.

5. marcus

marcus Registered Member

I figured that may be the case...and I don't really think the low range is needed, or even wanted. But fitting the turbo400 should be OK?
    I've done a bit of research, and form what I can see, some camaro's do have them...

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Typically the transmission output shaft on a 4WD application is shorter than for a 2WD application. It's likely that you'll need to change the output shaft of the transmission and install the correct tail housing for the Camaro. The tail housing is not used in a 4WD application. The adpater for the transfer case bolts onto where the tail housing would be attached in a 2WD application.

7. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

If the output shaft sticks out about 3.5 inches past the rear flange of the transmission and it is threaded down the center to bolt on the 2wd yoke, then it should be no problem. I would say the threads being the major issue. Then you just need the tailshaft housing and the yoke.
    I used a 2wd TH400 with my 205 with no changes necessary to the transmission.

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif