Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 tie rod end ? whatever its called its worn out on my K20, i need info

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Dec 17, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the drivers side of the long round steering bar pipe thing on my 83 K20 is worn out, it has tie rod end ball stud deal for the soindle casting and a hole in it for the steering shock and end of it is threaded and screws into hex nut shaped deal on end opf the round piep rod thing that goes over to pass side spindle casting with a rod ball stud end on it, the driver side 8" or so long end is worn out pretty loose.

what is it called and whats it gonna cost ? i only have napa and auto zone here, do either places have one thats good ? i have to haul heavy loads of metal on freeway 45 miles one way, is this good combo ? if not them im screwed and wotn be able to haul metal for money for a while until its fixed then.

also i noticed that with truck jacked off ground i can grab hold of end of front hub and pull straight up and its got just enough slop in bearings to make tink sound, is that ok ? do the bearings need to be a hair tighter and not have any slop/play at all or is that worse than just a little bit?

thanks

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

did some research after locating my NAPA chassis parts catalog and its technical name appears to simply be left hand tie rod end, lol!

it NAPa chasis part number 269-2554 and is 9.60" long from center of stud to end of threaded part, and i know all the rest of the dimensions also yay, but it is 66.49 price...

hum..

is that a good price on a tie rod end ? im used to 2wd mainly and they arent that much for them, but i have a good idea as to what the answer is to this..

so scratch up a ton more pennies and go get tie rod end right ?
    can someone cross me over this number to spicer, moog, dana, etc. ? probably all same Co. by now anyways,

how do i keep front end straight while replacing this? i take it that i need to eithger count threads and/or measure before removing old end right ? what are soem tips ?

then i have to scratch up mopre pennies by soem magical means and take truck to alignment shop when im done,..

no wonder steering was getting mickey mouse on freeway and steering wheel too far one way and such. i just greased up my truck i only have four zerks on entire truck hehe, one on rod ends and one on pitman arm and one on front drive shaft and that is it, i noticed that my rear shaft says spicer all over it /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif has outside retaining clips for U joint caps it is 83 with original slip output 208

i looked around some so far and found this: http://webepc.com/cgi-bin/sewse?/u/www/webepc.com/cmm/scripts/epc12.cmm+discap1

which one is my left hand tie rod end ?

thanks for anything

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Mcquay Norris ES2233L is $22 from partsamerica.com. But thats 7/8"-18 threads, while Mcquay Norris DS893 is 1"-18 threads, and is $56.

Appears from that site (and the TRW listings for the same pieces) that the thread size is based on the rear brakes. Ok, now looking into it more, it appears the listings are screwed up. The $55 piece is 52 inches long, the other is 9 inches long. Both are listed as drivers outer tie rod ends, so either their listing is screwed up, or GM reversed the tie rod arrangement based on HD or non-HD rear brakes. To clarify, (heh) all the parts are listed for the same year K20.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

mine's the LH 9.6" one, and SF 14 bolt rear so i doubt HD brakes /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

is the 7/8" and 1" the outside diameter of the steering bar pipe rod across front of truck- or of the threaded end of the 9.6" long rod end ?
    i will check that when i find out

thanks!

5. dyeager535

What they mean by the different diameter is the threads. Ones the same thread as a 7/8" bolt, the other is the same as a 1" bolt. I would *assume* that either tube end or tie rod end, both are the diameter of the threads, thus the 7/8"-12(tpi) or whatever.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

LMC lists only one and with pic for 81-87 K20 and is 29.95 price and is the one i need, number 34-2052, anyone have anything against LMC parts ? gotta be better than the worn out junk on the rig right now, right ?

what do you think ?

thanks

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    What they mean by the different diameter is the threads. Ones the same thread as a 7/8" bolt, the other is the same as a 1" bolt. I would *assume* that either tube end or tie rod end, both are the diameter of the threads, thus the 7/8"-12(tpi) or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

makes sense to me, im gonna check that on my rig her ein a few, just for learning reasons

thanks

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

it is definitely 7/8" /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .875"

thanks

9. dyeager535

I'm sure LMC doesn't make them, they can probably tell you who does. As long as it's not some no-name Chinese company it will probably be alright, but you never can tell.

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I don't know for sure on the K20 but some where around '85 the tierod design changed on the 1/2 tons from one long tierod and one short, with a short adjusting sleave to two short tierods, with one long adjusting sleave. This would be similar to what Rockstomper & others sell but no where near as HD. Make sure you get the stuff that fits your truck.

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Be aware there are 4 different tie rods for the different years of K-series trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

'73 to '76
    '77 to '80
    '81 to '91
    and the K30's which are all the same.

What year is your front axle? Let us know and we can help you from there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Re: 4x4 tie rod end ? whatever its called its worn out on my K20, i need in

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know for sure on the K20 but some where around '85 the tierod design changed on the 1/2 tons from one long tierod and one short, with a short adjusting sleave to two short tierods, with one long adjusting sleave. This would be similar to what Rockstomper & others sell but no where near as HD. Make sure you get the stuff that fits your truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I put my D44HD, from a '75 Chevy, I used the tie rod ends & the adjusting rod from my '87 (1/2t) It worked great! The tierods are cheaper, going this route. If I were you, I'd go for name brand tierod ends, like Moog, etc. Go for the better grade ones.

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

problme is that all the stores frickin re-box everything so you hav4e no clue what you are getting

how arew we supposed to know ?

and i called retard-zone store here and they said 57 bucks for one of theirs, napa wants 60 for theirs, so i dont know whats going on, but 76-86 K1- and K20 are same 9.6" long LF rod end #ES2233L, very common part. but there is no way in H*|| i can coem up with that5 much plus enoguh for alignment when im done replacing, so i guess i am toast until some day i find a real job, in which i been trying to find for almost two years now.

LMC says 20 bucks, and JC Whitney i cant find that stupid catalog around here now i dont know where it disappeared too i used to have tons of those around,, anyone have one for 73-87 ? thanks for info and help. i suppose i will sit here in snow until i figure out something. at least its just a bad rod end and thats pretty much it, hmm.

14. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You will have PM tonight. DO NOT spend any money yet! I'm going out to the shed.