Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4X4 TO 4X2 CONVERSION

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JUNKYARDJOHN, Nov 22, 2001.

1. JUNKYARDJOHN

JUNKYARDJOHN Registered Member

I'M DOING A CONVERSION ON A 72 4X4 BLAZER TO A 4X2. I WANT TO SWICTH TO A COIL SRING REAR & A FRONT END ASSY. OUT OF A 72 PICKUP. WOULD IT BE EASIER TO USE A SWB PICKUP FRAME(& SHORTEN IT) OR USE THE BLAZER FRAME? HAS ANYONE HAD EXPERIANCE WITH THIS TYPE OF CONVERSION? ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED. JOHN

2. Captkaos

Captkaos 1/2 ton status

I am far from an expert on 67-72 frames, but if they are anything like the 73-91's the Blazer/Jimmy frames are TOTALLY different than a Pickup, so using a pickup frame is out of the question.

As for swapping the 2WD parts to a 4WD truck, A buddy of mine did this on his. I didn't talk to him about the difficulty level, but I know it can be done. He did say it wasn't a "bolt-in" procedure.

Chris Lucas
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.captkaoscustoms.com>http://www.captkaoscustoms.com</a>

3. kansas blazer

kansas blazer Registered Member

i did this swap on a 69 4 wheel drive i own. i used front suspension out of a 74 2wd big block truck springs , spindles, control arms and everything else that came off the truck . this swap was fairly easy. i only drilled a few holes in the frame and i had to relocate the brake lines because of the crossmember. you can email me for the complete story at jasonrowl@hotmail.com

4. Crushergmc

Crushergmc 1/2 ton status

It's as close to a bolt on as you can get but it is not just a bolt on. Besides the drilling out of some holes you need to change power steering boxes and brake lines too. If your going from a drum brake set up to a disc, you'll need the porportioning valve too. If I wasn't notching my xmember, I'd be done already (lot of work for 1.5"). Email if you have more questions, good luck.

"KEEP IT DOWN"
    70 Jimmy, 454, 2wd
    56 GMC, Big Window

5. ImpalaSS

ImpalaSS 1/2 ton status

i think the blazer 4x4 frames are narrower at the back end so mounting the coil spring setup might be tough

68 SWB 4x4 1 of 1,449 made 327, 465 4 speed, rockwell tcase, dana44, 14 FF, <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/68K10>http://communities.msn.com/68K10</a>

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

click on the link below, that blazer is on a 72 frame.
    car-nection.com

when the page loads just click on the picture.

maybe you can email the person and they can give you some clues. There is a pretty good description on the vehicle as well. Here is the description that was on the site. He wants $17,000.00 for it. Kind of pricey:
    <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

New Rebuilt 30 Over 1958 Corvette 283 CV.IN. V8 Turbo 400 Transmission (New) New 307 Rear End and Axels Removable Top Cover &amp; Rino Lining Firewall to Tailgate Rino Lining Factory Air Factory Tachometer &amp; Vacuum Gauge Factory Tilt Steering Power Steering Power brakes Factory Hounds Tooth Interior and Carpet Kit Vin#CKE182S126748 This truck is built off a 72 4x4 Blazer, changed over to a 2 wheel drive w/ 72 P.U. running gear. Built professionally (no hack job)

<hr></blockquote>

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>See my pics here</a>

7. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

Anyone know if a 73+ 2wd blazer frame would work for this swap? I want to use my blazer frame to build a hybrid, since I already have the 1 ton stuff there. I have found one I may can get. I figured I would do it now before I totally ruin the Blazer!

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I would say cut the frame down, and make new mounting points on the frame for the body. All my buddies that do swaps with bodies always shorten frames instead of messing with suspension, or lengthening frames. For instance my buddy made a 93 1/2 ton crewcab shortbed. He used a extended cab longbed frame and shortened it to make it fit.

Dan

9. littlebubba

littlebubba 1/2 ton status

Tommy, you lost me here, which Blazer are you going to ruin? I could use a 73 &amp; up 2wd frame if you have one and would sell it, or know of one for sale.

10. wheelin72

wheelin72 Registered Member

Why do you all do this? iwas just wondering. Here it seems a first gen 4wd is worth more than anything else.

11. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

dont do it sell it and find one that is already 2wheel drive please /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif