Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 van?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skratch, Dec 26, 2003.

1. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

So would I be crazy to take my wifes 94 G20 and build it into a 4wd?

I was looking around and found a place that sells a lot of the stuff for the DIY guys and has a basic write up of what needs to be done, and the parts you'll need. It really doesn't sound that hard, except for the welding which I don't trust myself to do yet. And the parts really aren't that hard to come by, in fact I have most of what I need except for the van corp. 14.

Give me some input on this, I'm thinking of trying to convert my 4L60E to utilize a NP208 or 241 and set it up for 35" or 36" tires.

My wife doesn't care for the idea too much right now, but I explained if she lets me do it it'll be in a couple years and I'll try to get her another 2wd van sometime then too.

Here's what it looks like right now, I think it would look killer sitting on 35" Mud tires! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

2. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Is the van in question the one pictured in your sig??? If so, DO IT... 4x4 vans are the shizzle yo

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Yup the sig. and photo are my wifes van, notice the similar paint jobs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

From what I'm seeing so far, it looks like I'll need an NP241 with the VSS to work right, I thnk.

I should have left over front srpings from my Burb, when I go to the 52's up front, and I have a spare 208, 700 adapter, and crossmember right now. When I get my D60 (someday) I'll have the 10B from the burb, with D44 flattop knuckles already on it and set up for 8lug. So there isn't a whole lot, other then the engine crosmember that I'll need and this place I found sells those.

So it's sounding easier and easier to do. It's getting too easy, so I know I'm missing something that's gonna bite me in the a$$ here. That's why I want some other input too. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif me figure out what I'm missing.

I know the exhaust has to modified, but a good shop can build me a new y-pipe and driveshafts obvioulsy will have to be custom cut, but again no big deal. I'm worried about details I may be missing!?

Thanks, I know if I do this it's gonna look sweet! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 88 jimmychanga

88 jimmychanga Registered Member

As long as you don't make it look like this:

[​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I used to have a 1-ton Dodge van that had been converted to 4WD. I loved driving around in that thing! It went like stink in the snow, and people stared at it everywhere I went. It was only lifted about 4 inches over stock and had 33's all around, but that was enough to make it 7-feet-6-inches tall. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif So parking garages are out of the question. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think you'll have to swap the output shaft in the tranny to bolt on the 241. Also look at what you might need to do to hook up the steering linkage. Other than that it's pretty much just bolting and welding parts in place. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't get me wrong, if you want to stand out in a crowd, a 4wd van conversion sticks out great. I personally think 4wd van conversions look tough. (when not like the one pictured above lol)

However, for the same carrying capacity (or close) with perhaps better interior management (those van engine humps are usually pretty bad for legroom) I'd just get a Suburban. Yes you've already got the rig, it would look cool, and it would be functional, but for the cost/your needs, would selling the van for a 'burb, or taking the conversion money and just buying a 'burb, work better for you?