Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 with good mpg and good performance?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Sep 15, 2005.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

with my k5 out of commision, i'm looking for a 4x4 with decent good mileage, for long trips and maybe share the dd duties with my pickup. 20mpg would be nice, which pretty much rules out jeeps, from what i've seen. i've been thinking s10 4x4 pu or blazer, or a tacoma, or 1st gen 4runner (sfa and k5-like pop top). have any of you had luck with these or similar 4x4's? how well did the ifs work out in mud or rocks? i don't expect them to be as good offroad as the k5, but, with gas prices, it's a compromise i may have to make.

i've seen some older 2dr s10 blazers with the top rear cut off, so they look a lot like tiny k5's. that could be ok. i wonder about rigidity, though.

2. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

81-85 toyota single cab
    Lightest weight, best fuel economy, and best off road rig out of your choices.

If you dont mind the small size, a sami would probably get better fuel economy than the truck and still be an awesome wheeling rig.

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I agree with the Sammi idea, unless you don't like having only 62 hp. :eek1:

S10 ZR2's will get around 18 on the highway. That's a good option. Beefier axles from the factory and 31's stock. I've seen those things go through some rough stuff. Aftermarket has some support with rock sliders and such.

4. LVJimmy

LVJimmy 1/2 ton status

gas mileage

I have a 99 Cherokee 4.0/4wd that gets 17 city, 18highway @ 85 miles/hr.

In-laws have a 97 Grand Cherookee 8cyl/ 4wd they get 20 highway.

5. TLCOR

TLCOR 1/2 ton status

Jeep Cherokee, XJ.

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Patch is an '84 carbed Xcab yota 4x4. I'm getting just above 20 if I keep it under 70mph. This on 3" lift, 33-10.50's, and 4.88's

7. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

8. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

One of our club members (suby machanic) is puting a lifted suby together to play with ;)

9. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

my sammy goes like stink and gets 30mpg. (if i drive at 90kph)

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

only for those of you who dont know how to build or choose a rig properly.

Hot Rod did an article on cars that ran 12s and got 20mpg, so performance and economy are possible.

11. 1meanm1009

1meanm1009 Registered Member

Got a m10009 for sale :D commutes 60 miles a day and done a couple 1500 mile road trips wheeled and came home.gets 17-19 mpg

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Our XJ never managed better than 14.5 mpg...plus it was a beotch to work on, unless you have hands like a little girl and are double jointed. :rolleyes:

Rene

13. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Not with a Cummins :D !
    My 7,000lb 12V/auto ext cab averages 16ish and will pull down 20 highway running 33s. 170K on original pump, injectors and trans(currently dying).

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Look into a ford Escape with the 4 banger. Been thinking about getting one for my wife. Went out and test drove one. I really liked it. They get around 24 MPg highway. 19 city. seemed like it would do OK off road too. power was adequate for its size with the 4 cyl. Test drove one with a 4.0 6 cyl 5 speed in it too..... Impressive! It was pretty fast. :D Nice little 4x4 for under 25,000 I think the 6s get 22 highway and 18 city.
    I liked it way better than the Chevy equinox. :p:

If i was buying an older used 4x4 i think I would get a Toyota with the r22 4 cyl engine. Very dependable and pretty good on gas.

Dont think i would bother with a S10 blazer most i have seen didn't get much better MPg than my TBI full size Blazer. I get 18 highway in it

15. LVJimmy

LVJimmy 1/2 ton status

My XJ is stock, 105,000 miles on it. It gets better mileage now then when it was new. I make a lot of road trips and on these desert highways anything slower than 85 seems like you are standing still. I would love to get a burb but can't justify it with the current gas prices.

16. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

129000 on my S10 Blazer, Its a 4 door not a ZR2, I have 235/75s on it, thats as big as i can go without rubbing or any lift/cutting. I like it for mild wheeling, its been decent for mudding. Last time I flexed it hard I busted off a sway bar mount on my right A-arm.

17. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

some good info. thanx

i've heard the 22r and 22re are pretty decent. not tons of power, but decent torque for the size, and good mpg. is that pretty accurate? more importantly, are they reliable? do they vary much by year?

as far as the power vs mileage, i agree that it is about how you set things up. on my pickup, i've improved both the mileage and performance by making sure the mods i do compliment each other and my driving style.

plenty of work space in my chevy fullsize trucks, but my old accord made me wish i had tiny hands. plugs were about the only thing that was easier to change on the honda.

i find it very odd that cherokees seem to get better mpg than cj's and stuff.

18. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yes the 22R and 22RE are very reliable engines, probably the most reliable 4 cyl truck engines ever made. About the only thing that changed on them over the years was fuel/emissions systems (like everything else). Easy engines to work on as well, and the aftermarket is there for them just think of them as the SBC of 4 cyl's. Also Toyotas have good trannys and suspensions that are pretty darn tough.

19. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

makes perfect sense. looser engine tolerances (worn) cause the engine to spin more freely. less drag = less work the engine has to do.

20. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

They quit making Ford Contours (I had a V6 Sport that took years of beating) so they could use the platform for the Escape = not even close to a "real" 4x4...but prolly decent on the street. I miss mine, wish it had been a stick tho.