Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. teufel_hunden25

teufel_hunden25 Registered Member

I just bought a 77 K5 Blazer but I don't know how to shift into 4 wheel drive. It's an automatic so I'm guessing that I have an NP203 case. Anyone that can help me by telling me the shift pattern would be thanked.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

First let me Welcome you to CK5. The worlds BEST K5 site.

Well if indeed it is a 203 (most likely it is) and it has not been converted to part time then you will not have locking hubs. Just a chrome cap. If this is the case then your in 4wd all the time. The transfer case has a differential in it to allow for turning to keep from binding the drive line.
    The shifter all the way foward (to dash) will be low LOC. One click back will be low fulltime, 2 clicks back will be neutral, 3 clicks back will be high full time (normal posisiton for street use) all the way back with be High LOC. The LOC or Lock posisitions locks the center diff so that you get a 50/50 split of power to the front and rear axle. These posisitions should not be used on dry pavement. Keep your tires rotated and you MUST keep even tire wear or the case will soak up power and give you poor economy.
    The patern is as follows
    Low Loc
    Low
    N
    High (normal street use)
    High Loc
    This pattern is marked either on the shift knob or the bezel around the shifter.
    If the truck has locking hub it may have been converted to part time. The patern would now be
    4 Low
    2Low
    N
    2High (normal street use)
    4High
    Now to verify what case you have crawl onder the truck. looking where the rear driveshaft goes to the case. If the Case has a large tail cone about 10-12 inches long it is a 203. There will be a plate above the front drive shaft on the side of the case with it clearly marked 203.
    If it has a 205 (rare but possible) it will have about a 2- 3 inch tail cone and between the tail cone and front out puts rear bearing suport will be the mid shaft cover. it will have 3 bolts retaining the cover. Both of these cases have cast iron cases.
    If your truck is a converted 203 there are some normal procedure that you must follow. Every 200 or so miles you need to shift into 4 high and drive it a couple miles. Leave the hubs in the unlocked possistion. The 203 in normal form used the chain drive for the front output to sling oil for lubrication. In the tail cone there is a resivior that catches the oil. This oil is then pumped into the tail shaft bearing to keep it lubricated. If that resivior runs out of oil you can and will burn up the bearing.
    Also because of this pump (it's a plastic gear) the 203 needs a thinner oil. The 203 uses motor oil. same flavor as you run in your engine will be fine. If your in a cold climate Below 30f for extended periods) you may want to run ATF since it doesn't thicken up as much.
    As for shifting I have found the best way to shift it is to be rolling. going about 5-20 mph shift the transmission in Neutral and coast. Shift the case to desired posisition and put the tranny back in drive. You want to be on a loose surface when doing this not dry pavement. While rolling it pops in and out of gears very easy on both converted and fulltime. You can shift it sitting still if you have already got stuck LOL. Put the truck in park and grab it with both hands. Sometimes it will go easy some times not. Going between the full time low and high is usualy not to bad it getting it to LOC that fights you. If you cant get into lock then with the case in either low or hight not neutral put it back in gear and slip the tires some and try again. You really onely need to be in Neutral or park when passing through Nutral on the case. These cases do not have syncros and will grind like all hell if the tranny is in gear when you shift into Neutral on the case. If you screw up and manage to get it grinding in the case the best thing to do is shut the engine off so the tranny will quit spinning. You cant put the tranny in Park because the tranny will again grind like all hell (the tranny is free spiing so it would be like rolling down the road and trying to put into park...don't do it LOL).

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Well Grim, now I'm confused. My 76 has a 203 and locking hubs. There's original stickers on the driver's visor that say the case is 4wd full time, and another original sticker that gives data about the locking hubs. So my assumption is that it's not converted, it's original equipment. But this seems to conflict with what you say here, that the 203 may have been converted if there are locking hubs instead of a chrome cap. If mine have been converted, I want to do as you suggest. If mine aren't converted, I assume I don't need to do that. And if I did anyway, would I mess something up?

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard!

Good luck to you when you head off to the Island. Remember to keep a positive mental attitude, no matter how much $#!t the DI's are giving you, no matter how many sand fleas are dining on your flesh, no matter what. Keep that positive attitude, and remember the goal--to earn the title of "Marine".

Sergeant Ken Moeser
    United States Marine Corps

<font color=red>Click those banners and help support CK5!!<font color=black>
    [​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

5. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

well i guess grim pretty much covered it for you. good luck

6. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Just like JarheadK5 said, a "Positive Mental Attitude" is key to surviving bootcamp. Once it's all over you'll look back and say "Thank You Sir May I have Another!"

Sergeant Esteban Solano
    United States Marine Corps

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

7. Grim-Reaper

Welcome to CK5 Skigirl.
    From the factory a NP203 is fulltime. Hence the sticker you describe is correct if your truck is 100% stock and unmolested. It would have had a hub cap like this one http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Hey Grimmy, whats the scoop on that Blazer you are working on in that pic? Those are some BEEFY rock sliders there!!! [​IMG] How about some more info, specs, and pics on those? [​IMG]

When In Doubt, Whip It Out!

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the data Grimmy. That was a big help. I'll check it out!

10. Grim-Reaper

Yeah they work pretty darn well[​IMG]. I had all the guys at the Tellico K5 run grimace when I took a bad line and slammed them into a few rocks. My truck had no floors when I bought it and the rockers were rusted off just below the doors. It being a 75 I had to make new floors that could suport the body with no roof and I decided to put some serious rockers on it at the time. The floors were so rusted out that the fire wall and windsheild would lean back with the roof was un bolted. They ares also part of the body structure now and have a leg that is inside the a frame blind nutted to the kick pannels that keep any of that leaning fire wall stuff at bay.They support the full weight of the truck no problem. Only lost 1.5 inches of ground clearence doing it that way and even with a bolt on slider I would have lost far more. They are also air tanks.
    Pretty well the whole story is on my web site. Link is in my sig. That is the tan truck on the opening page as it was being put back together. Depdog has done something simular on his truck and has a write up at off-road.com in the chevy section. "Project Rockready". Not sure anybody has tried it on a pick up truck yet but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

11. freeforever

freeforever 1/2 ton status

For the love of god grim!!!! man you know what your talkin about.....$hit! I just learned somthing! thanks!

<font color=blue>"You can talk the talk...but can you walk the walk?" </font color=blue> [​IMG]

12. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

keep in mind that the key word is mental.basic is very pshyically demanding,but the mental end is by far the hardest!i was 21 when i went in,and it still got to me at times.the younger guys seemed to have a harder time with it.whatever you do dont smile at the di when hes in your face,it makes for a real bad day!and believe it or not you will enjoy it,i had a blast![​IMG]

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>