Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

5.0L 1986 K-5 Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by swta, Jul 7, 2002.

1. swta

swta Registered Member

Hello All,

I'm about to purchase a 1986 K-5 with the 5.0L V8 and auto trans. My question is, what kind of mileage should I expect? The truck is in absolutely new condition (41K original miles, completely stock)and runs flawlessly. The seller says it gets 14 city and 18 hwy, are these realistic numbers

Thanks

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd be very surprised...most fuel injected trucks don't manage 18 hwy or 14 city. I could see 11 or 12 in town and maybe 14 or 15 hwy if it was driven nicely.
    At any rate it sounds like it's been well kept!

Rene

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I can see it being possible. That low mileage, taken care of, it is possible, especially given ideal circumstances like driving long flat stretches of road at a constant speed.

City *seems* a bit high, I could only manage 10 with the 305, but I was on the gas quite often in the city. I saw 17 on the freeway numerous times, and that was with a WELL worn motor.

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

tRusty.......You gettin rusty dude? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif he said it was an '86, they were still usin the Q-Jet in 86. EFI in '87 if I remember correctly. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Kid, I think Rene is trying to say that most FI'd trucks get that so he would doubt that a Carb'd truck could get that. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

My Dad "SWEARS" that when he drove the truck on the freeway he would get 18MPG(86-305-700R4-3:08-31" tires) at a cruising speed of about 60MPH. But i could never get that when I got the truck. Of coarse it's now a 350 700R4 4:10's and 37" tires.......but that besides the point. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

6. tRustyK5

Thanks Esteban...you're right, that's what I was trying to say. Perhaps I didn't word that as well as I should have /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

From reading other's experience I guess it is a possibilty to see that kind of mileage, but I wouldn't draft a gas budget using those numbers. Count on getting slightly worse mileage and if it truly does get that mileage you can come back here and brag!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I get about 10 in town and 13 or so on the hwy...but my truck is lifted, much heavier than stock and has a mildly built 355 and no overdrive.

Rene

7. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Ohhhhh.....errr, DUH. I knew that. /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

wonder how much mine is ganna run me in gas prices since ill be drvin it to school and round town everyday!!?? haha i dun wanna know! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Bryan

9. fisher1648

fisher1648 Registered Member

Rene is exactly right on the fuel mileage estimate ! I had a 5.0 TBI in my 1987 blazer. I removed the 305 and put in a 350 - much better match for the truck. I sure didnt like the 305 - always felt sorta underpowered - If they are not any more economical, whats the point ? - but that's just my opinion.

10. Muddin_Mavric

Muddin_Mavric Registered Member

I just bought a 83 blazer with a 305 and it gets 22 mpg on the 100 mile trip home /forums/images/icons/smile.gif the odometer says 30,000 so i am asuming it has gone around at least once and as far as i know it has not been rebuilt. and its got overdrive and seems to have good power to me. It also has no cat and a k&N filter.

Justin Behr
    behrs@tznet.comREMOVE

11. tRustyK5

Not a flame or anything but maybe your speedo reads a bit fast. 22 is pretty fantastic mileage for any blazer.

If you have a GPS you could verify your true mileage using that rather than a possibly inaccurate speedo.

Rene

12. KPAX-5

KPAX-5 Registered Member

I have a 85 K5 5.0 700r4 and was wondering what my gearing could be. I checked the glove box and rear end tag but I could not find any code. If it helps my OEM tires was 31X10.5R15.

13. tRustyK5

The best way to find your gearing is to pull the cover off, do a little maintenance and get the numbers off the ring gear edge. Common ratio's were 3.08, 3.42, and 3.73. Honestly you could have any of those ratios...

Rene

14. Muddin_Mavric

I dont have a gps but when i go down the hiway if i go 60 i will catch people and when i match their speed its right around 55 wich is the speed limit unless they have all been speeding. when i fallow someone i will ask them to keep track of their speed or millage so i can compare it.

it also has a flowmaster muffler and on the EPA tag it says its for primarily high altitude operation which from talkin to my friends dad says it has alot to do with it since its runnin on the lean side. Maybe thats why it wont idle with out the choke until the temp hits about 150. I gota keep my foot on the gas and hit the gas even more to get it in gear with out killing.

15. dyeager535

Somethings not right then, GM would not have put a vehicle out that vintage where you had to give it gas and put it in gear, too many liability concerns.

16. Muddin_Mavric

well i know a bunch of stuff is wrong and i just did a serch and found out that the sensor i just replaced to try and fix my oil presure gauge (so it would read somthing other than 0 a mech. gauge read 40 at idle) is really the one for the carb. and also the guy that owned it before me must have done the same thing because that sensor i took out only had 2 prongs the plug has 3 holes for prongs and 3 wires. So i asume the choke is not working right and thats why the choke light comes on eraticly and it wont idle at anything below 150 degreas. so now tomarow if i can find the other sensor and it looks the same as the other 2 i have i will switch the new on in and if i get oil preasure then i will head down to car quest and get the other sensor and ill see if that helps.

Justin Behr
    behrs@tznet.com

17. dyeager535

Yep, PO's (previous owners) are a much maligned group, for good reason. I'd hope that anyone that ends up with one of my former vehicles (like I'll ever sell one lol) won't end up hating me for doing stupid things.

just keep knocking stuff out one by one, eventually everything will work and be like it should be! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

18. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

I cus the previous owner of my Blazer every day/ I find stupid wiring, mickey moused things troughout the truck, even after all of this time.
    eddie

19. dyeager535

Its amazing how much time some of them have spent doing something the wrong way, and the right way would have been about 100 times simpler and quicker. But hey, thats why you can find cheap vehicles! : )