Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

5.13:1 gears?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Are 5.13s available for both a D44 and 14FF? I have to buy new gears for the 14bolt, and have to replace the D44 gears due to some teeth damages, so I figure I am going to get some that are gonna do the job.

How would this ratio be with a 465, 205, and 38 or 39.5s? The truck is a daily driver, but only sees highways on the way to the trail.

Thanks
    Mike

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

5.13s are the lowest gear ratio available for the 14 bolt but they are available. I plan to go 5.13s in my Dana 60/14 bolt combo. But I also plan to buy a daily driver. I don't think I would run 38s and 5.13s on a dd rig. Mileage standpoint. Power and crawl wise I would. I will probably be going to 39s or 42s.

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

At 4.56s you're talking about ~1 tooth of contact on a ~8.5" ring gear. I'd strip teeth off easily if I ran 5.13s, even with my 305.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

get a bigger ring gear.

j

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Yeah, mon. Maybe everybody should just go out and buy a Dana 60. Or better yet, skip right on by the D60 and go straight for unimogs so as to avoid the traditional tooth contact problem altogether. [​IMG]

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Ummm huh?
    You are saying I cant run a 5:13 in a D44 because the teeth will strip off? Nothing is doable at all without a stinkin D60?

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I'm not saying you can't run 5.13s... I'm saying that I know I'd spit teeth off the ring gear if I did.

At that ratio the diameter of the deepest part of the teeth on the pinion gear is actually smaller than the pinion shaft... this seems kind of insane to me. Of course, I'm no mechanical engineer.

I think that 4.56 is about as far as I'd go. Remember, this is just one guy's opinion. Even if he is some schmuck that has seen quite a few "toofless" ring gears.

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would go 5.13's, I am going with either 4.88's or 5.13's with my truck and it's on 35" boggers. Anything over 38's should have 5.13's in my opinion. Big tires have a lot of drag+high gears= a motor that is out of it's power band in an addition to a stock 350 isn't really enough power for good performance with big tires anyway.

9. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I don't have a 465 in her yet, but the 5:13s with 38s works awesome! I have 5:13s with a 700r4 and I wouldn't suggest anything different! They are awesome on the street, but I also have OD! I would go to 4lo.com and figure the RPMs and see if you are compfortable... Start weighing the benefits vs the losses of a DD vs a off road rig only! THat's all there is to it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Technically I should have 4:88s in my truck with 38s, but I plan on going to 40s when these tires wear out and 4.88s wouldn't be enough! Think about the future and do the gears once! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I liked the 4.88's I had in my 3/4 ton axles. They worked awesome paired up with my 36" swampers and the 700R4 tranny. I think you could get away with 4.56's, 4.88's would be better and 5.13's might be overkill. Mostly due to tire size. I will be getting 5.13's however, because I'm buying 42's and a 4.56 or 4.88 just wouldn't cut it with my stock engine. It's your decision in the long run since you know what kind of wheeling you do most often. That should decide if you need more wheel speed or a really low low range for crawling. JMHO

11. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I know 2 people that have 10bolt fronts with 5.13's, The one is 1/2ton and his WHIFE blew out the rear end(12bolt) at the sled pulls with it though. But the front end stayed togeather /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But thats why I say dont lock 1/2ton rear