Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

5.13's gears won't setup with Detroit in D60....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dhdescender, Jun 26, 2004.

1. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    5.13\'s gears won\'t setup with Detroit in D60....

My local offroad shop is having serious troubles setting up a new set of yukon gears and new detroit locker in my front D60.

They've shimmed the ring gear as far over as they can get it (so far it rubbed then they had to take a shim out), and it still hardly leaves a mark on the coast side of the gear.

The shop is blaming it on a bad set of gears, but I'm not so sure. I ordered a 4.56 and numerically higher carrier, although I didn't checkl the part number (I will on monday and measure the bearing to ring gear face distance to make sure).

I'm thinking if I was shipped the wrong carrier (a 4.10 and down), that the ring gear would indeed be too far from the pinion leading to this problem. It's the only simple and logical solution why it won't setup.

I havent had a chance to call the Place where I bought it, I'm just trying to get an idea if it could be anything else.

If it is the wrong carrier, I certinally hope the establishment I bought it from will replace it without issue. Unfortunatly the shipping was pretty pricy, due to the distance and weight.

12 hours of shop time @ 70CAD an hour and no progress SUCKS!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

2. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Re: 5.13\'s gears won\'t setup with Detroit in D60....

I hada buddy that had to send back yukon gears 3 times till he got a good set of gears.

3. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.

OK, fair enough it could be the gears then too. I think its best I verify if I have the correct carrier, and if I do, I'll just buy a new set of gears.

So I just send the gears back and they'll get replaced? They left the blueing on so they'll know its new.

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

My 5.13 Youkons set up perfectly on a 4.56 carrier in my Dana 60 without any problems. I think I would check the carrier first.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't think the ring gear would even be touching the pinion if you had the wrong carrier.

I think I'd find someone else to set up your gears.