Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

5.13's impossible to find??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scrappy88, Sep 25, 2003.

1. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

5.13\'s impossible to find??

I'm trying to find someplace that has 5.13 (thick) gears for my 14FF. I'd like to get a set by Precision Gear. So far I've tried Drivetrain Direct and they said those are backordered until at least December, Reider Racing says they are backordered until April '04 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif and 2 other local places I tried said they were out of them and couldn't give me a date when they might have them again. Am I screwed for now? I just tore apart my 14 bolt and would like to have it back together within a month, preferably with 5.13's and a Detroit but it looks like that's not going to happen. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Randy's doesn't list Precision Gear as one of their brands, so I don't think they carry them. Anywhere else I should check? Thanks!

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: 5.13\'s impossible to find??

Any particular reason you're set on Precision? Pretty much any mainstream gear manufacturer should work fine. I got mine from Drivetrain Direct, they're Motive but they were in stock. That was earlier this year though.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

damn, i wanted some thick 5.13s as well... this sux. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

4. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

It doesn't have to be Precision Gear but it would be nice. Drivetrain Direct told me that the other brands like US Gear were backordered as well. My other option is to go with 5.13 thin gears (at around $320 because it's a GM part I guess) and also swap the carrier. But I'm not that anxious to blow all my money.

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

did you try randy's ring and pinion?? thats were I got mine

6. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep. Thats what I went through at the first of the year. Took me 4.5 months to get them...

7. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

I have yukon 5.13's from randys. They had them in stco and setting in my shop floor in 3 days

8. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

I called up Randy's today as well as a few more local places, and nobody has the 5.13's in any brand. Randy's says they haven't had them for a long time and don't know when they will get them again. Same old story. So I'm settling for 4.88's. I just want to get this damn axle finished. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Maybe call these guys www.drivetrainsuperstores.com

Precision Gear - RING & PINION 5.13 RATIO - THICK GEARSET - GM CORP 10.5 inch - 5.13 $261.00

Motive Gear - RING & PINION 5.13 RATIO - THICK GEARSET - GM CORP 10.5 inch - 5.13 $245.70

OEM Gear - RING & PINION 5.13 RATIO - THICK GEARSET - GM CORP 10.5 inch - 5.13 $210.00

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. jekbrown

just out of curiosity, if OEM gear seats are so much less $, why does anyone buy the aftermarket ones? The ff14b is a hella beefy axle, I dont see the point in getting aftermarket gears for it... i mean, how often does the ringgear blow up on da ff14??! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

j

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They do it because they don't want to change carriers to go with gears lower than 4.10. The carrier break for a 14FF is 4.10 and down, 4.56 and up.

12. jekbrown

Im confused... if ur axle came with 4.56s stock, why would you need a new carrier for 5.13s? and what does this have to do with using OEM-made gears? lol! Im so /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

j

13. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Actually the OEM gear set that Frizzlefry listed isn't really an OEM GM part so it's kind of misleading. I talked to those guys and the "OEM" gear they list is basically their generic in-house brand.

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Correct. You'll also find it all but impossible to get a 5.13 standard ring. Thick rings are much easier to find. Having a 4.56 carrier like mine means that I will likely need to find a 4.10 carrier if I ever change to 5.13s... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

15. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

If you have a 4.10 and down carrier, you can still use 4.56 and up gears, but they have to be the "thick" gears. Thick gearsets seem to run around $240. If you already have a 4.56 and up carrier, you need to use the regular gears, which are around $310. They're probably more expensive because they are in low demand since most axles came with the 4.10 and down carrier.

And now I'm really confused! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I knew that, but I was referring to stock type setups.