Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

5.13's = same RPM's as 4.10's (?!?!?!?!?)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zakk, May 11, 2003.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

5.13\'s = same RPM\'s as 4.10\'s (?!?!?!?!?)

So i finally got my steering issues resolved. I was headed to the bank when i saw the on ramp to the freeway.

"No time like the present" i said as i signaled left to get onto the freeway.

Now, in California, if you are not doing 70 in the slow lane, you are taking your life into your own hands, and you better have made your peace with your god. I hadn't had the rig on the freeway since the re-gear, so i was really hoping it could do it.

I'm keeping up with traffic in the slow lane and I glance down at the tach and its humming along at ~3100 RPM's

This is simular to the RPM's i was getting in the 70MPH range with my 4.10's. Is my engine and tranny just doing better with the 5.13's? Could my tranny have been slipping the WHOLE time to turn the 40's with the 4.10's?

yet another reason that if you are running big tires, 5.13's are the only way to go...

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: 5.13\'s = same RPM\'s as 4.10\'s (?!?!?!?!?)

With 4.10's you should have been turning 2600 at 70, with 5.13's you should be turning 3200 at 70.

If you were turning more with the 4.10's the tranny was slipping./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

rene

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    With 4.10's you should have been turning 2600 at 70, with 5.13's you should be turning 3200 at 70.

If you were turning more with the 4.10's the tranny was slipping./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

rene

[/ QUOTE ]

right. and that was the crazy part! i ran the numbers and my freeway "calculator" RPM's never matched.

these do. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Kinda esplanes the tranny meltdown don't it? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

5. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

yeah, no wonder mr. turbo 350 wanst happy in that truck /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Kinda esplanes the tranny meltdown don't it? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

which one? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Are you certain that speedo is correct? Have you changed out the speedo gear?

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    So i finally got my steering issues resolved. I was headed to the bank when i saw the on ramp to the freeway.

"No time like the present" i said as i signaled left to get onto the freeway.

Now, in California, if you are not doing 70 in the slow lane, you are taking your life into your own hands, and you better have made your peace with your god. I hadn't had the rig on the freeway since the re-gear, so i was really hoping it could do it.

I'm keeping up with traffic in the slow lane and I glance down at the tach and its humming along at ~3100 RPM's

This is simular to the RPM's i was getting in the 70MPH range with my 4.10's. Is my engine and tranny just doing better with the 5.13's? Could my tranny have been slipping the WHOLE time to turn the 40's with the 4.10's?

yet another reason that if you are running big tires, 5.13's are the only way to go...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it is Cali after all. Maybe everybody was stoned today and driving slow. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Are you certain that speedo is correct? Have you changed out the speedo gear?

[/ QUOTE ]

what speedometer? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

wanna buy a Numbers-matching 1977 K5 with 0000000 miles? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Well, I just ask cause how do you know how fast you are going?

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

looking over on other people's speedo's /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

its a guesstimate, but based on my last few times on the Freeway (death wobble at 60 MPH) I was going more than 65 MPH. I bit more scientific research will occur tonight.

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

DO you have, or know someone w/ a handheld GPS? Lots easier than screwing w/ the speedo.

13. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thats pretty interesting zakk. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Dang thats some slippage you were having before..

Right on dude, you are making mad progress on your junk... cage, doubler, gears and posi up front..... pheque man! Hella wicked mad sic tyte yo! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

...did'ja air up the tires or somethin' .. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Marv