Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

5.14 GEARS IN 10 BOLT?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIG B., Apr 16, 2003.

1. BIG B.

BIG B. Registered Member

OKAY, SO IM LOOKING ON EBAY AND I FIND WHERE I CAN GET A RACK AND PINION SET, 5.14 RATIO, FOR CHEAP. I HAVE THE 8.5" 10 BOLT WITH 3.73. THE SELLER SAYS THAT THEY WILL FIT. I THINK IT WILL WORK, BUT I WANT TO KNOW EVERYBODYS OPINIONS.

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

:nuke:

quick! everyone buy stock in pinion manufactuers!

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> First off, the all caps thing is annoying and hard to read. Here are my thoughts -

5.13s are pretty deep, what size tire are you running on that 10 bolt?

Pinions for 5.13 gears for 10 bolts have like 5 teeth on them, strength is not a major feature.

You're going to have a hard time fitting a rack and pinion in an axle housing. A Ring and pinion will work better. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Be careful with used gears, they're harder to set up and might be trashed, get lots of good detailed pics before you buy.
    </font>

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It is probably 5.13's. But yes that ratio is available for a 10 bolt. The only problems I have heard of with them is the pinion gets kinda small, and the pinion teeth on ring gear teeth gets kinda low which causes more pressure and a better possibility of breaking off teeth.

5. BIG B.

BIG B. Registered Member

Sorry about the all caps. I would rather by new gears any how thanks for the info.