Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

5/16 plug

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Jan 26, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

i have a new engine i am getting ready to stick in the blazer and am wanting to run my stock gauges and mechanical, in the pasenger side head it has a square headed plug, it is 5/16 though, i went to the parts stores in town and they cant get one, i tried the hardware store and got some 5/16 square stock but it just twisted, the plug is in there good! anyone know how to remove it?

2. folkenheath

folkenheath Worthless Trash Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you have a grinder take a hardened grade 8 bolt, a short one, and grind 4 flats on it so it just fits the square, then pound that in the plug and put a socket on it. It's super cheap and it should work. Good luck.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

a 3/8" ratchet drive is supposed to fit in that

heating up and melting candle wax into the threads usually always works

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i ran into the same problem on an 88 tbi 350. the ground down bolt did the trick for me. you need a 5/8 or 3/4" bolt to start from.

or if you have a short extension laying around, it would be easy to make fit.

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Keyway stock from your favorite hardware store or tractor store works pretty good in instances such as this.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i'm sure you'll figure something out.. i used to use ss keyway stock all the time back in the day. but they do make proper tools for all square drives... http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=65528&group_ID=259&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

i own male and female squaredrive sockets. vital when you run across as many drain plugs, etc as i do.. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=1588&group_ID=259&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

pretty sure Craftsmen has em too...