Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

5.38 14 Bolt FF gears, picture inside...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Aug 5, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Went to Carlisle All-Truck Show today. One vendor had a set of 5.38s for a 14 bolt sitting there. First I saw a sign, and questioned him about it. Asked if he had any on hand, to which he replied by handing me the pinion. I didn't bother counting the teeth in front of him, maybe someone can from the picture, I'm too tired.

He claims no clearance work needed, just install and go like any other gearset.

[​IMG]

He also had quite a few Dana 60 Lower Trunions on hand, I purchased one. Selling them for $40 even, I know I see them on Ebay for that price plus shipping so I saved myself a few bucks. Also knowing they are on national backorder made me say, uhh yea I'll take one.

He was trying to sell me a set. $200 at the show. If someone wants the info I have the guys card somewhere.

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I miss Carlisle....I once carried an 8" ford center section over a mile from where I bought it to the truck....

I count 43-44 ring gear teeth, maybe..?

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I count 9 on the pinion I believe... 44 and 9.... yeah 4.88s. He swears he got 5.38s in this week....

Though if we are both miscounting(I figured 44 ring gear teeth as well):

43 ring gear, and 8 pinion would be 5.375....

4. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

there is a guy on pirate selling 5.38's for 160 bucks shipped, that seems awfully cheap so I am skepticle.

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

43 and 8 would be 5.375

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Those are the 5.38's in the pic, you can tell by the undercuts left on the pinion support bearing snout. There is a big thread about it on Pirate in Gen4x4, they have a temp fix posted and supposedly the manufacturer is trying to come up with a real fix.

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

They are 5:38's. I was next to them all weekend. Contact Douglas Brown at Extreme Axle Sales. 845/598/0545 or www.extremeaxlesales.com. Email him at Highonda@optonline.net Give him a shout and tell him what prices you have found and see what he can do. He bailed me out on a set of D60 lock outs when we smashed one at Carlisle.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah sorry I missed you wayne, saw you while I was talking to.... yeah I can't remember his name or screenname. Guy from Jersey there with his wife from Florida and their son he adopted. Yeah remember that much about him but not his name... Like I said, I bought one of the lower trunions from him. Wish I had the money on hand to buy 2 but I didn't.

Read through the post on Pirate, I have to admit the release of a product like that is a little disturbing. You think they'd machine it just a slight bit before heat treating and ship with some inner race for the bearing. Just seems dumb to expect it will be fine or ask the customer to take care of it themselves.

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I do not see why they cannot do a BMR (Base Metal Repair) by welding the machine marks up and then turn it down to spec and heat treat. I am sure they saw the cuts in the pinion snout prior to the heat treating process. I wanted a set of these and now I am unsure unless they can get the issue fixed not bandaided.

Ira

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

They'd charge more for them if they did that, but at the same point, why just ship it and hope it works out? How long they were working on them and they come out like that I don't understand it.

Like I said in the Pirate post, the cuts in the gearset in the picture seem deeper and longer than the ones in the pictures on Pirate.

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I don't know much about the gears because I really don't have any interest in them.

You were talking to Patrick, RamJetGMC.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

THATS IT! Yeah I suck with names. Details stick, names thats a different subject.

13. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

:D My pics are up in another post. I'm wopped. What a great weekend though.

14. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

thats good they finally got them done....but im not about to swap gears just for them...5.13s are good enough for me :)

15. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Sled dog, did the vendor mention about 5.38's for the 4.56 carrier. Heard that they are only out for the 4.10 carrier.

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I didn't ask, from everywhere I have been hearing they are and will be 4.10 only. Thin gearsets for 14 bolts are becoming few and far between anymore.

17. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Crap! bought a 14FF from a junkyard with a gov-bomb (stupid me didn't bother looking in the glove box for the RPO code G80) with 3.73's, sold that one and bought a M1008 combo to avoid the expense of regearing (for now) and a new carrier with a detroit. Now it apears that I'm gonna have to salvage a 4.10 open carrier when I go 5.38"s.
    Ohh well, live and learn.
    Thanks for the info sled dog.

18. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Yes, you will need a carrier and don't look for them to become available for the 4:56 and up carrier. My wish is more thick gear sets for GM D60's. I plan to go to 4:88's some day.

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sure would be nice. Lucky me with the high pinion I have thick 5.13s for my front and thick 5.13s for the 14 bolt :)

20. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a freind who is in with a guy at Randys ring and pinion and he said there is currently no plan to produce the 5.38 gears for the 4.56 and up carrier. He said there has been little to no demand for it. Sucks cause I have 4.56 and up carriers