Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

5.38 gears for the 14FF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Nov 10, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Stolen from pirate, not my info, but cool none the less
    [ QUOTE ]
    Called around for prices a wheil ago for 5.13s for my 14 bolt and d60. When I called Randy's to get quotes, I casually mentioned it was too bad that 5.13 was as the lowest ratio available for the 14 bolt. The tech rplied that was not to be the case for much longer. He claimed they were working on 5.38 gearsets for the 14 bolt and they should be available by April or May 05. He would not go into detail when I asked who was going to cut their gears and I am just assuming it would be the India plant. But who knows. If they start, maybe PG and ohters will jump on the wagon and actully cut some 5.38s for the 14 bolt FF too. Teh 14FF is gaining popularity quickly; it would sure be nice to see some aftermarket support for it, the new spool is a nice start, why not selectables and some chromo shafts and the li
    ke?

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

has anyone ever heard a reason they stopped at 5.13? always seemed stupid. AS soon as I read the beginning of that post I was pissed, I just got my 5.13s for the 60 yesterday /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, then I saw may of next year /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

And the way these things go it will probably be may of 2008. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

same time the ARB hits the market you mean? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

ARB was suppost to get the air locker for the 14B FF ready by the end of Dec! That has been moved back to feb they said this week /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I'm gonna have to run an open rearend half the freak'n winter now!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gifI think it'll be worth the wait though. I'm just running 4:56's, so gears won't be a problem for me. Bummer though about those 5:13's

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ARB was suppost to get the air locker for the 14B FF ready by the end of Dec! That has been moved back to feb they said this week /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I'm gonna have to run an open rearend half the freak'n winter now!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gifI think it'll be worth the wait though. I'm just running 4:56's, so gears won't be a problem for me. Bummer though about those 5:13's

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong but I believe the ARB is going to be a 4.10 series carrier.

7. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

If I want to go lower than the 5.13's I have now, I will be going with a dana 70 with 6.17s /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Randy's Ring and Pinion /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Chances of seeing them in 2005 are slim to none. They are having a hard time just getting ordinary beefed up axles from India right now, a brand new product that no one else makes....yeah that'll be a while.

9. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

OHHH...That could be a problem.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif AW, the greatest laid plans of mice and men! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Guess I better talk to ARB again. May just have to run a Detroit /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifThanks for the Heads up!

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I wish I wouldn't have both my 5.13s and gone 70 shopping for my rear axle. Oh well 5.13s will still rock /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm going to wait for them and run them when they come out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

they come out with 5.86s I'll jump in a preorder line

13. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    has anyone ever heard a reason they stopped at 5.13? always seemed stupid. AS soon as I read the beginning of that post I was pissed, I just got my 5.13s for the 60 yesterday /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, then I saw may of next year /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was told by the time you get lower than 5:13's there is nothing left of the pinion, hence too weak to go any lower.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

over at the Pirate thred they are mentioning really little sapce between the gears and thouse with 5.13s and that with 5.38s you may have to machine something to make it work. Makes sense why there is nothing beyond 5.13.

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    they come out with 5.86s I'll jump in a preorder line

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

Don't know why you would go to the trouble to design and manufacturer new 5.38 gears since they are so close to the existing 5.13's. Granted, if I was ordering new gears and both were available I would get the 5.38's......but if I had new 5.13's sitting on a shelf in the garage I wouldn't even bother trading them in on 5.38's. At least something like a 5.86 gear would have a noticable difference from a 5.13.

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Im trying to think of a good application when more than 5.13 would actually be a good thing....

maybe I'm koo-koo for cocoa puffs, but IMO if you need that much more gear, you should be spending your cash on a doubler, klune-v, atlas or some other upgrade. Im going 5.13s with my ff14 and D60... if 5.38s or 7.17s come out, I wont feel like I "messed up" by going to 5.13 cause its the right gear ratio for me. Not to mention that when they first come out and only 1 company is making them, imagine how much they will cost. ouch.

j

17. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I have to stick with 5.14 gears in my rear axle also...they never made any lower for the Eaton HO72. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I remember something from Billa's D60 bible saying that above a certain gear ratio, iirc 5.38, all the gears are cut for strength and not ability to be quiet.

18. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

for me id like to keep as clost to stock ratio as possible so the bigger tires i get the taller geard id like to get, but i drive my rig alot so i need it that way, with 42's going from 5.13 to 5.38, would only get me 130 somthing more RPM, wich isent enough for me to want to change.... but i there were 5.86's i would deffantally change them

19. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If I want to go lower than the 5.13's I have now, I will be going with a dana 70 with 6.17s /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Say bye bye to your ring and pinion every time you get traction...

20. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Say bye bye to your ring and pinion every time you get traction...

[/ QUOTE ]
    HD70 with 6.17s in the mud won't be a problem /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It would be different if I was rock crawling.