Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

5.9 quake in Central cali

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big pappa b, Sep 28, 2004.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Located near Pasa Robles, San Luis Opibispo (sp)Parkfield

Your days are numbered before you become a floating island /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ohh no /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif -- well banks power better not mess up my order a 2nd time /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

and i hope no people got hurt

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It was fun.. I would take one of our earthquakes over a tornado or hurracane anyday..And now they say it was a 6.0 with over 90 aftershocks already.. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

hey tornados are cool, try chasing one, its fun /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    hey tornados are cool, try chasing one, its fun /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    been there done that /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MMMMMMM.....CUMMINS! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I like a good quake every now and again. It makes millions of people stop what ever they are doing at the time and stand there and look at each other with huge question marks on thier faces. Then after about 5 seconds of that they all start running for the doors. It's pretty fun to watch panic in the process. I have a friend who likes to hit the dirt flat on his stomach and feel the quake ripple through his body. I like getting down and looking out over the horizon from about 1 inch to watch the rippling efect going on. Ever watch asphault bend like a wave?

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I like that sentiment, prove that the earth can kill us if need be

9. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

Your days are numbered before you become a floating island /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Pfft, we didn't even notice it. We're used to them.

-- A

10. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Any damage reports??

Is this near a populated area??

11. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Supposedly the san andreas fault goes right threw the mountians that are betweeen me and the Ocean. I'm waiting for the day I have beach front property. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

12. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

the only thing that makes me nervous is ice storms, no CK5 or TV or microwave,etc. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

13. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ice storms are the best, get the truck out and make some $$$. then later put some screws in the tires of my bike and go play /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

seriously, i hope everyone is ok. im not a quake expert, so i have no clue how big 5.9 is /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Parkfield use to be a small town that runs right across the San Anderas Fault. It "use to" average a magnitude 6ish quake every 22 years or so like clockwork. In fact, it was so regular in the late 80's scientist poured millions of dollars in monitoring equipment (strain guages, lasers across the fault etc) to they could collect the data for the quake that was suppose to occur in 1993. The 1993 quake never happened and now this was the predicted quake that came 11 years later!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Parkfield is a neat place, you can actually see fences and roads that have continued to move from each other over many years. I was a geek in the mid to late 80's studying seismology at Cal State Northridge. Im probably one of the few who think EQ's are pretty cool. Just think of the energy needed to move miles of earth several feet at one time /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Also, California will never become an island. The western side is actually being drug north along the fault and then subducts under the oregon coast feeding the volcanoes up there. In about 1 million year, the LA Dodgers will be playing their cross town rivals in Frisco.

Remember, EQ's dont kill people, the structures people build kills them.

Edit:

Heres a really good link to the Parkfield Experiment
    [​IMG]

As of 8:18pm there was 323 recorded earthquakes since the main shock at 10:15AM
    Recent Parkfield Earthquake Recording Map

15. gokartergo

Yep,, The pinnacles that are in Hollister.. Use to be in LA.. A couple of million years ago.

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    5.9 quake in Central cali

[/ QUOTE ]

Everytime I pass this in the thread list I see "Nuke in cental Cali" and go /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif... A quake is bad news, too, but a nuke is along the lines of "It's the end of the world as we know it"...

17. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Remember, EQ's dont kill people, the structures people build kills them.

[/ QUOTE ] This is not entirely true. Fissures have been known to open up, people fall inside and then it closes back up. This happened in the Alaskan quake in Anchorage. Granted the quake needs to be substantial and this rarely happens and the chance of someone being where a fissure occurs is even more remote.
    I'd still rather have my ocassional earthquake than any other natural disaster ... but then again I too enjoy them and their unpredictability. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif I'm kind of disappointed that I didn't feel this one.

18. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This happened in the Alaskan quake in Anchorage.....the chance of someone being where a fissure occurs is even more remote

[/ QUOTE ]

Now That was a Quake....Magnitude 9.2, 5 full minutes of shaking, aftershocks in the mag 6+ range, Surface-wave ripples over 3 feet high /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

The ground does not open up and swallow people (a commonly feared myth). Open ground cracks may form during an earthquake caused by landsliding or ground slumping but these are open gaps (they don't "swallow") that a person could stand in. With the extreme liquifaction that occured in Alaska there was large slumps and gaps and as you mentioned the possibility of someone actually falling into one while it was still moving and being crushed is extremely rare.

19. gokartergo

We just had another one.. 5.2 It's getting fun around here... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Dang Dan hang in there doood.... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif