Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

5 Gallon Sand Blaster problems

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by BKinzey, May 5, 2007.

1. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Heard they were decent so I bought one. Bought dried sand, medium grit, and a particulate mask to use for this & painting later.

So here's the problem. Hooked everything up and the sand doesn't come out the nozzle. Air comes out great!:rolleyes: Had the pressure set to 80lbs so I upped it to 100 (max is 125). Still no sand:( I put the sand in several weeks ago so I thought maybe that was it. stuck a piece of flat stock in there twisted and stirred best I could. Fairly sure I got the center stirred all the way to the bottom at least. Still no sand:mad:

Suggestions?:bow:

2. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

forget to install the sand pick up tube?

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think you have a cheapo blaster like mine. Take apart where the hose and valve attach to the bottom of the tank. You either have some hardened sand stuck in there or you have a small rock that is blocking the flow.

Also, you will be suprised at how much air you are going to need. When I blast, I use two medium sized air compressors (one is about 11cfm and the 2nd is about 16.5cfm) and about 150gallons of air space.

4. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

It's a gravity fed not the siphon type. I'll check the bottom valve.

Thanks

5. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Hey! Ya open the valve on the bottom and the sand flows right through!:haha::haha::o

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_583_583

So now I have a couple more questions. The "Patented Deadman Nozzle" didn't work too well. The ceramic nozzle lasted less than 2 minutes:doah:It still worked with out it but what's that all about? After some use the deadman valve got a little gritty and wouldn't close all the way and allowed air and a little sand to escape. Worse, this allowed the sand to continue into the hose and the next time I grasp the lever a fountain of sand, that is the escaping air had enough force to draw sand into and fill up the hose, once that cleared it worked again.

Anyway to make sand work with this? With the ceramic gone I have about a 3/8" hole. The hose is about 1/2" ID. I thought I could drop to a 3/8" hose and 1/4" adaptor from the hose to the back of the deadman to get some type of regulation on the amount of "fountain" I get.

Maybe somebody makes a better nozzle I can use? Northern Tool only has the one.

155341_lg.gif

6. m4

m4 1/2 ton status

Have you looked at TP tools, they have a large selection of blasting stuff!

7. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

I am having all the same problems with the unit that is right above your model.

I think these are just POS and I am lookigna t something different.

I have a fairly large air compressor and I had it regulated fairly high.......I am going to try it again, SOON.

8. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

;)The gun they sent is useless. I adapted down to a 1/4" copper pipe and then got a cap. Drilled a 1/16" hole and have enlarged it twice. Plugs up so I'll have to work with it some.

Now the problem is with no shut-off, except for the air valve on the tank, I need a larger air tank. I'm using a 20 gallon and I should have like 80

Hopefully I'll be able to find a gun that works:mad:

TP Tools has siphon type stuff but thanks for the suggestion;)

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  9. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Harbor Freight has a different type of gun. Looks more like the type on the $$$ models. You can order the gun separate online so I did.

I've got to say the Northern Tool one is crap for sand. Might work with a light abrasive like plastic, shells or beads.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Got the Harbor Freight Friday:laugh: Works a lot better:D Still have a few things to work out but at least it's useable now:rolleyes:

In the pic the Harbor Freight is in the package. Looks like both guns are made by the same overseas supplier but the Northern Tool one is crap IMHO:mad:

Sand Blast guns.jpg

11. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Still a couple of problems with clogging so the cheesy abrasive shut-off valve is the next to go.

When it works, it works pretty well though:wink1:

Sand Blasted Frame #1JPG.JPG

Sand Blasted Hangar.jpg

12. misterfnygy

misterfnygy 1/2 ton status

my suggestions

I have the same setup- with the harbor freight deadman valve. The way I get started-
    Close all the valves on the blasting unit and hook up the compressor.
    Open the inlet valve and charge the tank, I let my compressor refill
    Open the air valve to the gun
    With the trigger pressed, open the abrasive valve

Still clogs up sometimes, just have to kick and beat on it a bit to open things up

When I shut it down I go in the reverse order on the valves to prevent the fountain effect. Kind of a picky machine to deal with but works great once it is running....