Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

5 hummer rims w/rubber locks, Good deal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KRAZIE87K5, Feb 26, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I found a place online to sell me 5 USED (but in good condition) 12 bolt, 8 lug hummer rims with 5 rubber bead locks and new seals to boot. Does this sound like a decent deal? Lemme know before I slap down my Paypal account for this guy. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

-Dan

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

How much?

3. KRAZIE87K5

LMAO, I am a dork. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif $500.

-Dan

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you can run them w/o mods on your set-up. The rubber runflats are usually more in demand. Because they usually need to be modified, its hard to say. To me no, but I'm cheap. I've seen people pay more for the bias/mag ones, so I would guess it is a good deal.

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me like the average going rate for unmodified wheels. I wouldn't call it a "good" deal, just average. If you can use them without having to modify the offset then it might be a decent deal.

Mike

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I remember I bought a set of 5 for $300. But they're the bias version with mags.
    I modified the centers though to fit my axles.

7. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I paid 600 for custom re-centered ones from USA6x6...

8. KRAZIE87K5

Was that for 4, or 5 rims? $600 is pretty close for new ones with new centers...

-Dan

9. KRAZIE87K5

Boss-

Can I run these without modifying them? Where will I have problems? Spring to tire clearance? What if I flip them? I've heard of that too... but I can't find anything to prove it can be done...

-Dan

10. Boss

The backspace is like ~7" or so. You could probably make it work with the rear pretty easily, but the front will cuase you some probs. I've seen pics of someone running them backwards and it seems to be ok, but youll have it sticking out sooo farr. It's your choice on that though. If you can cut metal and weld really well, then it's an easy thing to do. If not, I suggest finding them pre-made...I believe there are a couple vendors that do this (from POR site)....gotta run...

11. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Dan,

You will need to find some Dually Front Hubs and a Van 14 Bolt with Spacers. You have time to do all this prior to April 12th? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Cut and weld, cut and weld... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

now someone answer my friggin post so I can make april too! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. KRAZIE87K5

Why do I "need" that stuff? Can't I mount these rims on my existing stuff? Or do the dually hubs, and the van 14B with spacers just correct the stock back spacing problems on the hummer rims? If its a serious back spacing problem, I'll have them cut out and welded in before the run.

Does anyone have suggestions on back spacing if I plan to run a SRW D60, and a regular 14B?

Thanks!

-Dan

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I figured on 3.75-4.25 to keep the tires as far under the sheetmetal as possible. </font>

16. KRAZIE87K5

Is that 3.75 in the front, and 4.25 in the rear? I am so confused... I wish I could find info on how to install these bad boys starting from a stock rim, and then doing all that is necessary to get them on and working. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

-Dan

17. Boss

Sorry if my previous post was vague, but I was in a hurry and had to leave asap as I was typing it.

Anyhow, to follow up on Mudzers post, you can put dually front hubs on your 60 and run the hummers, since it puts the front axle out ~3" further or so. The rear you can run spacers, ~2" or so. Yes, it's the backspacing that gives you problems.
    I have a friend here that is putting the hummers on a dually front 60. Everything seemed to line up just right (with no mods to the center/BS).

What shags meant with 3.75" to 4.25" backspace, is, if you decide to cut and weld new centers, you will want to put it at around 3.75" to 4.25" BS. Keep it the same at all corners, so you can rotate them, unless yours is a trail only rig.
    I chose 3.75" for your info.

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Sorry about that, yes, I meant that the BS should be anywhere from 3.75 to 4.25 and it should work fine. I would recommend keeping the BS the same for all 4 also.</font>