Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

5 inches of lift and 38's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by milspecjimmy, Feb 6, 2003.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

5 inches of lift and 38\'s

does any one have 4-6 inches of lift and 38's? i have a rough country 4" all spring lift now, and am thinking of getting some 1" zero rates, or making my own 2" ones. any one have pics of a K-5 on 38's with this much lift?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: 5 inches of lift and 38\'s

I'm running 2.5in lift with 38's is that close enough?

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I'm using 4" TC springs and Hill shackles up front. I have a Echobit shackle flip with 57" furd springs along with a 4 degree Atron block. Also a 1" ORD body lift, all of this gives me about 7" of lift. I'm running 38.5x14.50x16.5 SX's on 16.5x9.75.

[​IMG]

As you can tell I need to do some major front fender trimming and a little more on the front of the rear quater panel /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Hope this gives you an idea of what you would be running aswell /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Eric -
    Yeah! Thats looking good. That first pass with the sawsall and the body shears are going to be painfull, your truck looks so clean!

I'm running the same suspension but with no zero rates and a 3" body lift. I'll be yanking the body lift out in favor of all the cutting I've done to run soley on 4" of lift -
    [​IMG]

5. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Hey Mike,

Glad you like it. Yeah I'm pretty nervous /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifabout the fender trimming on the front, but I'm sure I will be alright after I get that first cut done. The lower back below the molding was pretty painless, had that molding line to follow /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

So have you done more cutting that what is in your current photos? Or will you have to do more when you take the body lift out?

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Even with the 3" body lift, I had to do a lot of cutting to really allow the suspension to flex out all the way. I cut the front all the way to the cab (and it still barely rubs at stuff when turning). I also yanked out the inner fender wells which will help but I'm going to have to offset the front end at least an inch forward once the body lift is removed to eliminate cab impacts. I cut the rear up good mostly to accomodate for rear steer but my tender spot is the insides at the bed floor. I'm going to tub the back end out and get rid of the rear seat in favor of a single racing seat (to maintain a 3 seater truck). I also trimmed the bottoms off both ends of the truck under t he bumpers to eliminate cornering them later on. Here's a pic of it now... I'm looking to flare the tops of the fenders a bit.

[​IMG]

My goal is to get it down lower like this, with lots of down travel, limited up travel:

[​IMG]

7. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

6 in and 38s didn't have to trim to much.It's on 88 SWB with SFA D60 so not same as K5s.was told how to move pics from gallery to posts last night,but,guess it didn't soak in and post is gone today.someone tell me again and will copy it this time.New to web stuff.K5s tthe first time I found site I liked enuf to come back to.Thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I am running 4" front springs and in the rear I am running the Echobit reversal w/ the F150 leafs, and I mounted the leafs backwards. This moved my rear axle back about 6". I don't run ANY block or shim on the rear, have a solid yoke driveline. I am running 38x15.50 tires on a 9.75" Steel wheel. I cut the heck out of the fenders, but they fit just fine. I am going to at least 39.5's next time I buy tires and im not gonna lift it anymore! If it rubs, cut it off!
    Oh yeah, don't make your own blocks...they are cheap enough just buy some...and im sure it doesn't need to be mentioned to NEVER run a front block.

9. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

ok no offense to any one or you poohbair, but i am going to make my own zero rates, not blocks!! meaning i am going to use a solid piece of steel and machine out a center hole for the spring pack bolt, then go get new bolts for the packs, and bolt them all together. exactly like the zero rates only 2 inch. ill also maching one surface of the pieces for the rear to have the 6 degrees to eliminate the shims

10. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Heres my 88 SWB SFA 6in with 38s,if I did it right! [image]http://coloradoK5.com/photos/data/506/11022dsc0[/image]

11. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Did something wrong,try to figure it out.Wouldn't let me highlite address when in properties,any help appreciated.I can work on trucks with no probs,but,computer is killing me. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifGotta go cut some wood ,be back later.{warning not threat} /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif [​IMG] Thats how !!Igot it now.

12. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Speaking of which, I'm dying to see pics of that install!!! The suspense is killing me! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for the 2" zero rates, if your running a stiff leaf pack it shouldn't wrap too bad and work just fine but doing that on a soft leaf pack would absolutely require anti wrap control. Adding the degree into it is a smart idea to. I work with a vender named JKW who makes just such a block with an axle offset built in as well, its just a cleaner aproach to have it all in one so I easily relate to your desire to use that method.

13. guest

guest Registered Member

milspecjimmy,

No Disrespect meant here but…

Zerorate or tworate whatever you want to call it, bolting a 2”square block of metal to a spring pack is still a lift block, illegal in most states.

Your tworate will still be affected via the lateral forces exerted on the front axle.

14. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    with lots of down travel, limited uptravel.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't have enough uptravel won't this limit your lots of down travel you are shooting for /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

BTW I like the tube doors you going to market those on your site? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I am taking the camera home tonight frow work to take a few pics of some things, so I will try to email you a few pics tomarrow. They will be driveway pics, but I guess you will get the jist of how a Jimmy looks w/ a 112 1/2" wheelbase. I would post some pics on here but I dont know how?

16. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Got pics in members rides,just haven't figured how to shift them to posts.I also thought blocks were blocks no mater how they mount. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifPics are under ZonkRat /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Most of the 4x4's you find here in southern california are desert trucks set up for high speed and big air. Every once in a while I get them out crawling with me and I've found some common ground in our suspension geometry and seen first hand how their setup can benefit in the rocks. What I'm doing is lowering the body onto the frame as low as it can possibly go, then cutting out areas where the tires will impact when stuffed. I haven't changed any of the suspension or flex, but have lowered my center of gravity substantially. Watching some of these low pro trucks with lockers crawl over obstacles I noticed that their body would rise up on the corner that stuffed and allowed the opposite side to drop out quite easily, and oddly enough the truck would stay for the most part level while some wheels dropped 30 or more inches and stayed on the ground. Their trick is in keeping a tire on an obstacle long enough to keep the the truck from high centering (or in my case, just drag it on the armor). While having my truck sit dead center of my available up and down travel travel makes for good ground clearance, it also makes off camber hills extrememly tricky and sometimes just plain impossible. By having the truck at rest sit lower down on the suspension I'm not as tipsy in those situations but still have the same overall travel. I sold that set of tube doors right off my truck at an event, I have to make me new set right after I get Waxer all set up with them this weekend. My neighborhood is beginning to look like a K5 convention on the weekends!

18. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Send them to me and I'll do a feature on your truck on Echobit - so then you'll have a place to post updates and such to. Oh, and thanks for thinking out of the box!

Ok, I think this post has been successfully hi-jacked.. now post up your 38's with 4" lift pics!!!

ZonkRats truck:
    [​IMG]

19. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Once you see "My Bitch" you will realize that I don't just think out of the box... I used the box for kindeling to heat the shop...
    It still needs lots of tinkering, but the biggest thing now is a different rear shock setup...they REALLY limit my suspension travel.

20. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I know they wanted pics of K5s on 38s,but,thought Y'all might like it.First 4X4 was 72 K5,402,465,205,35 Gumbos,and no lift.Great truck.Working hard to make CK do better.Think I'm getting close after SFA.It's been a good one so far.Motor and tranny still stock,lots of axle work,done myself with help from some friends. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif