Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

5" lift and 38.5x15x16s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RSNHELL, Mar 28, 2005.

1. RSNHELL

RSNHELL Registered Member

Im running a 5"lift and want to run 38.5x15x16 boggers, I,ve cut the fenders to fit but wondering if they'll rub the inner fender aprons.I don't really want to get rid of the inner aprons to keep most of the mud out of the engine compartment.What is the widest and tallest I could get by with? I could do a one inch body lift if I need to ,thanks

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

make some different inner fenders... Ive seen a lot of different ideas. Use some real stiff material, and bolt it to your frame. then make it go straight up till its close to the hood. should keep most of the goo out....

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

also... if you want to run a bigger tire, try moving your axle forward a few inches. so as to clear your firewall.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You will rub the inner fender wells with 38's. I rub mine with 35's and 4.5" lift. You can move the axle forward 1-1.5" to help with the rubbing. You can also cut the back of the fender apron's free so they will push back farther and let it flex more.

With 38" tires, 5" of lift, no axle relocation you would rub the firewall if you didn't run fenderwells.

Harley

5. RSNHELL

Thanks for the info.I didn't even think about the firewall. Maybe i'll just go with the 35's .It seems to be a little to involved for me right now.I just spent alot of time and money getting my suspension geometry dialed in.Thank you again,experience counts.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Sounds like it's a little bit too late for this advice, but I'll post it for consideration anyway:

Tires determine EVERYTHING else in your build.

Once you've selected the tire size you want, you can work backwards from that decision and know immediately how much axle strength you'll need, what sort of gearing, lift, suspension mods, fender trimming, inner fender mods, etc.

It sounds like an over-simplification but it really is that straightforward.

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I run 38x13-16 TSL's on 16x10 rims with just 4" Tuff Country springs on the front. The outer fenders are trimmed quite a bit, and the lower portion of the inner liner at the firewall is cut away (engine compartment still sealed up). I then cut the vertical firewall seam in a few places and pounded it flat. The truck gets used hard on the trail and the only time the tires rub the firewall is at full lock, full flex, and pointed downhill (extra weight on the front).

With that said, with your current 5" lift you might be okay with the slightly wider tires, but a zero rate block with the axle moved forward a little should be no problem to clear.

8. RSNHELL

Yeah l had geared everything toward 35's to start with, but after I swapped in the 14 bolt and reading more and more, 38's sounded pretty good to make up the ground clearance. Maybe I could go 37's with zero rates and 1" body.I thought about the 38x13x16 but
    didn't like the stability factor in such a tall skinny tire. Jst trying to keep the center of gravity as low as possible ,while gaining ground clearance and not sacraficing stability.Every inch up should be 1 inch wider.Don't ya think?

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

No arguement here....! :cool1:

I'm one of the few people here that like wider tires (my own rig uses a 38.5" x 16"W x 16.5" tire)......for sure, a wider wheel track helps to offset the higher lift and helps with stability.

It may not be the "ideal" tire for hardcore wheeling, but from an aesthetic point of view, it does give a nice beefy look. :thumb:

10. RSNHELL

You said it brother!