Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

5 lug 14sf from 454 SS?

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by Chris_T, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Long shot, but I''ll see ..

The pinion bearing is shot on the rear axle on my daily driver. Gears are probably gone. I've been living with it, but the whine is getting annoying on my longer drive in to work. It is a 3.73 geared 10 bolt in a '94 GMC 2wd. Rather than re-do the gears in this I'd like to swap in a junkyard unit.

I'd probably be fine with another 10 bolt, but if anyone knows where there is a wrecked 454 SS 2wd with a 5-lug 14 bolt semi-floater, that would be an ideal upgrade.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Can't you just make one with a 14 SF from the junkyard, a pair of shafts, and some brake parts?

3. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

4. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Thought about that, but even assuming I could swap the 5 lug drums onto a 6 or 8 lug housing I'd probably have to buy custom shafts which would make it a little more costly and time consuming than I'm looking for for my DD. Another option would be a early 5 lug 12 bolt.

I'll probably just go with a 10 bolt. This one lasted 270 000 km and I probably won't keep the truck long enough to really need the 14.

5. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Thanks .. I'll check into it