Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

5-speed tranny from a C70 chevy truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Sep 23, 2003.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Any ideas what tranny it may be? A guy in the local ad trader has one for sale with bell housing for $350. I'm sure it has a yoke on it for 2wd applications, but could it be made to work in a 4x4? Is it an OD 5th or a 1:1 5th? He wants $350 for it. Thanks.

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

probaly a clark or a new process some have overdrive some don't super strong but a little on the heavy side for a Blazer /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

My neighbor used a clark in his 79 K3500. He managed to stick it between a Caddy 500 and a FWD transfer case, so anything's possible. I would venture to guess the 5 gear is 1:1, but it's only a guess, and I'm not where I can ask him otherwise I would.

4. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

The transmissions in these vehicles are generally Eaton (Fuller) units. The 5th is 1:1. They are strong, but weigh an incredible amount (trans alone is 300#). Due to the big input spline, they require a big tractor trailer type clutch (I believe mine is a 16") which only works with the flywheel, bell housing & starter designed for the C60-70 truck. This large diameter will likely make exhaust fitment a problem as well (trans mounts are usually on the bell housing). Hope this helps.

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Clark/Fuller 5th gear is 1:1 ratio. Heavy as hell. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I drove an '86 C60 and an '82 C70 that both had a Clark 5-spd according to the RPO sheet. Not sure if it was direct or OD 5th. It looked bigger than an SM465, but still a single-countershaft transmission. Divorced t-case would be the answer... but a K5 doesn't have enough wheelbase /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Be careful about the input shaft size! If its from behind a 350, the trans will be a direct swap for an SM465. If its from a 366/427 its will be larger - these trucks have an adapter to an SAE pattern and use a 13" twin-disc clutch.

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Yes, very strong and more than likely an Eaton Fuller. It would probably need a 14" or 14.5" clutch. Heavy? Yes, SM465 trannies are about 140 pounds and the fullers can be over 200 easy... I guarantee it will be hard to frag, though. Also, the U-joint would be MUCH larger than you have. There are many different models. Pull the number for it off the tag. If you display it here, I could get the info for you...

8. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Clark/Fuller 5th gear is 1:1 ratio. Heavy as hell. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Some do have overdrive fifth gear also it could be a new process trans We have 2 C-60's that have new process trannys one with overdrive on without we also have a C-70 with a non-overdrive clark with a 4-speed brownie behind it . my mom and step dad have a ex-power company truck a 66 C-60 4x4 with a 409 engine and a Overdrive clark 5-speed and a 2-speed t-case and a 2-speed rearend (which sucks cuz you can't use the 2 speed rear in 4-wheel drive or ......BOOOOM) other than that it's an awesome truck

9. steelsoldiers

Wow guys, this forum never ceases to amaze me with the knowledge contained inside /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. I'll call the guy tonight and see if he can give me the information off of the tag. He said it comes with the bell-housing and an adapter to mate it to a big-block. I don't know that I would ever need that much tranny behind my weak-ass 6.2L /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif, but the unfraggability would be nice, especially if it's an OD. Thanks again for all the info /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif.

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

There was a guy down TX way somewhere that was making the parts to put the Clark's in LD 4WD trucks as a less spendy option to the NV4500. Might look him up and see what he can do to marry a t/c to what ever it is you've found.

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    He said it comes with the bell-housing and an adapter to mate it to a big-block.

[/ QUOTE ]

That will be the big shaft.... Hopefully you can stuff the 366/427 pilot busing into the 6.2L crank. Then you'll have to mess around finding an 11 or 12" clutch disc for that shaft to use the stock 6.2L flywheel and pressure plate. Alternately, you could look into having the monster 366/427 flywheel balanced for the 6.2L - then you can run the 13" twin-disc /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I don't believe in too much tranny for an engine. More tranny just lets you move more mass with less engine strain.

Damn! Now you've got me interested... I'll have to find my own monster tranny now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. steelsoldiers

oohh, ooh, oooh{tim the tool man noises}, 13" twin disc, that sounds nice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I couldn't get a hold of the guy last night. I'll try again tonight and see if I can go look at it. Yep, he said it was behind a 366 big block in its former life. Should that mate up with the SM465 clutch linkage? That would be sweet.