Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

5 speed with 350 in s-10?

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by bryguy00b, Jan 1, 2004.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

could you use the 5-speed that GM put behind 350's in an s-10 if you shortend the shifter? cause it would be to tall i would think in an s-10

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about the nv3500? They put those in S10s, try to find one that was behind a 4.3. I'm sure the shifters would probably swap out too.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hmm...not sure what code name the transmision is ...do they have the same bolt pattern to the block from small block to the 4.3's?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes 4.3s and 350s have the same pattern, a 4.3 is just a small block v8 with 2 cylinders deleted. As for your question, why not use a 5 speed thats suppossed to be in an S10? NV3500s are junk as far as I'm concerned(in full size apps anyway), later 5 speed S10s come with the T5 transmissions same as the 5 speed Camaros and Firebirds. Camaro and Firebirds have a different setup though so they wouldn't work in an S10, unless you wanted to be reaching between the seats to shift(no you don't).

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    later 5 speed S10s come with the T5 transmissions same as the 5 speed Camaros and Firebirds. Camaro and Firebirds have a different setup though so they wouldn't work in an S10, unless you wanted to be reaching between the seats to shift(no you don't).

[/ QUOTE ]
    the t-5 in the camaro/firebird is stronger than the one in the s-10. there is alot different between the two. the s10 t5 only came with the 4cyl and the 2.8 while the 4.3s came with the nv3500. witch is plenty strong enough to handly a healthy 350. i did alot of researching when to the tranny on these, i wanted a stick. but when i realized it would cost alot (for me) to make it work, i built a 700r4 for the job /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea my shop teacher told me that...4.3's being same as a sbc minus 2 cylinders of course..but if i was to do a v8 swap into the s-10 i would want a standerd rather then a boring auto..plus my truck is already a standerd so why not..

7. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

t5's SUCK..especially in a truck you may have a hard time making it live behind a sbc

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

The GM T-5 sucks! When GM first started using the T-5's They could ONLY use them behind the 305's! The torque of the stock 350 was to much and blew those tranny's up! from 85 up you could only get the IROC or T/A with 305/5spd, or 350/700r4. You can get stronger parts for the T-5, but the cost is a killer!

9. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I'm getting a '90 S-10 for free this week. It's got a F.I. 2.5L and the 5-speed. I want to slap a 305 from an '87 K5 in it (with the TBI). Will the transmission hold up and will the wiring be the same for my fuel injection? Thanks guys... I'm just trying to save another new post from being made.

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you would need to get a 4.3L harness and swap to larger fuel lines on chassis and in tank and find a 5.7L ECM if possible from a full size or caprice or etc. the transmission can hold up as long as you dont get good traction and rail it too many times,,

90 t-5 would be world class, good tranny, '85-up is what they are, ive got oen right now i need to sell or trade off for something

good luck

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

what tranny are u talking about using? im sure u already know u cant use the one from the 2.5, but one from a 4.3 will bolt up. i wanna do the same thing as you but put a carb on it, mostly to save troubles with computer and FI problems

12. TruckNutzDude

So basicly I need to find an engine and transmission from another truck/car and swap everything out. I'm pretty sure the fuel lines are the same, at least they apear to be and use the same fuel filter. How about the wiring? Would it be close to what I'd need for a TPI system or my TBI from my 305 K5? I'd like TPI since I don't think I can squeeze many ponies from a TBI setup. Plus TPI is much cooler /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

basicly ..yea lol.or u can find a 5 speed that came from one of the 4.3 s-10s it will work, may not be as strong though i dunno but it would work..if it were me i would just put a carb on it, yea not as good but saves all that wiring trouble and what not

14. big83chevy4x4

alot of the 1/2 ton fullsize trucks wiht a stick came with a nv3500, the same thing as the 4.3l s10 5 speeds /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. TruckNutzDude

Thanks guys. I just filled my car with some petrol last night and wow! gas is $1.80 for regular /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I'm going to keep the 2.5L until things cool down since the truck will be my DD and I drive a lot. Are there any posts in here about souping up the little engine for more torque? I saw one about shaving the head down some but that would just bump the compression and require higher octane gas, right? Oh heck... I'll just make a new post.

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea, thats the same reason im keeping the 2.5 in mine, for gas cost, even though it dont run all that great and it knocks like hell lol, of course the truck does have 265k on it, but the engine was replaced at 100k but the moter has at least 165k on it now plus it was probobly used on top of that lol

17. big83chevy4x4

my 2.5 gave out at 189k. time for the 350 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

not bad, mine sorta has already given out, im just still driving it haha /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

19. big83chevy4x4

its was burning 2 quarts every 200 miles for 3 years before it blew up. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

20. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks guys. I just filled my car with some petrol last night and wow! gas is $1.80 for regular /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I'm going to keep the 2.5L until things cool down since the truck will be my DD and I drive a lot. Are there any posts in here about souping up the little engine for more torque? I saw one about shaving the head down some but that would just bump the compression and require higher octane gas, right? Oh heck... I'll just make a new post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quit 'ur bellyaken /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I just payed 2.18 for 87oct and saw it as high as 2.45 for 87 on the hwy (needless to say I didn't buy from them).