Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$5 to whoever tells me what is wrong with my engine!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Sep 29, 2004.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah, woohoo i know, but I'm not getting any help from anyone else, and Tim has cut off help because i'm a jackass and "[censored] idiot"

Ok. Let's just start from here-
    It ran, and either it cut off or I cut it off (i don't know to be honest) anyhow, it hasn't started back up. timing is correct. spark at every wire. all new plugs. 125psi at every cylinder. I have had it mentioned that cam timing could be off, but then i ask if it could have slipped a couple teeth and i was told no. well it was obviously ok when i started it up and it ran, so i know i installed it right, and if it didn't slip, then i have no idea. I know all my valves are opening. PLEASE, ANYONE this is absurd.

Ok, I'm 17 and i want to be a mechanic. I was just told I shouldn't be working on engines. Do you agree, or do you think that I'll learn from this?

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

and engine needs things to run . Air ,fuel ,and spark are these requirements all being met ?

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What you're saying is scientifically impossible.

If the ignition timing was correct your carb would not have caught fire.

Give up working on engines and pick another hobby.

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

sounds like a fuel issue. Yes you should be working on your rig. Thats how you learn............ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

So if you have spark , and gas it should start . I have done it before , so has everyone else who jumped into this game .

Go pull your distributor , find TDC , drop it back in but do not push it in , go get in cab and bump the starter so it just turns barely , distributor will fall into place , ok now find TDC again , and do it 3 more times to be sure , now look where the rotor points , wire the spark plugs from there 18436572 with odds on drivers side head and evens on pass side head , cinch down distributor but leave it enough to move by hand until you get it started .

This is backyard , but it will work , if you have gas , and spark , it will fire .

10 bucks says it is timing for sure /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. mudjunkie 82

have someone turn it over and spray a little bit starting fluild in the carb. See if it fires.

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

hey tim quit being an a$$hole Dude just be patient go back and look at all the simple things if those are all god than youll need to recheck the cam. Its really kind hard to trouble shoot something like this over the internet /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif clam down rethink it and try again the firt motor i did i F'ed up the firing order, i did everything right but that and i was so mad when it diddent start, but i got it done and it felt hella good after that!!!!!

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

if someone told me to stop working on a project I liked, I'd go to there house and burn there mailbox...so in other words,,,blackmail /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

And i suppose you knew everything the day you emerged from the womb? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Gimme a break.

BowtieRed: get someone to give you a hand, youll get it sorted out. It cant be anything too serious.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Actually I told him off because he keeps insisting everything is correct. If everything was correct the engine would run. It's pretty irritating when there's only a certain number of reasons that it might not run and he's been told all of them and insists that everything is perfect.

If everything was perfect the engine would run. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. bigchevy80

bigchevy80 Registered Member

pour a little gas down the carb and try to turn it over. if it does turn over then u know u have a fuel problem (bad fuel pump, kinked line, dirt in the line...).

12. BowtieRed

all i said was "cam timing is correct", it DID run at one point, and i know for a fact that the dots were directly above each over, and the timing was correct atleast correct enough for it to run, and then the timing was not altered and it did not start back up. i'm am 99% sure the timing is correct i did the following:
    pulled valve cover to redo the valves
    had someone bump starter until #1 cylinder was on compression stroke,
    they bumped it again to make sure neither valve began to open,
    backed both rockers off until there was obviously play,
    slowly tightened rocker with one hand while i spun pushrod with other hand until i felt **some drag** (see bottom),
    then i turned the nut 3/4 of a turn more
    i repeated that with every valve on every cylinder
    then i hand them bump the engine again until both valves on #1 cylinder were closed,
    then they bumped it until the timing mark came into view (both valves still closed),
    they bumped it again to 4* advanced, i could not turn it over by hand just because of the way it was situated, i left it at 4*
    I had previously pulled the distributor and put it back in,
    this time it WAS 180* off, (this is all after the motor ran fine and then stopped)
    so i pulled it out, dropped it back in the other way, it was not where i wanted it as far as where the vaccuum advance would be, so i pulled it out and turned the oil pump with a screwdriver unti i had it where i wanted it,
    put the distributor back in, (couple of tries until the oil pump lined up) finally got it to set flush with the intake manifold, i put the cap on, and lifted it back up to see the rotor was pointing near the #1 wire, turned it checked it, and repeated until it was even, turned the cap clamps on, then tightened distributor until i could just barely still turn it by hand, then rechecked the rotor- it ws still pointing at #1, rechecked my wires (even looked in the haynes manual to make sure i wasn't messing up the firing order, i even looked up my cam to make sure i hadn't somehow missed it being a 4/7 swap cam, then did a compression test, and had 125psi at every cylinder, then i RECHECKED every plugwire, every one arced off of my PAINTED headers, i then, today replaced EVERY single plug, even though the other ones were new, some were gas soaked, and i heard that platinum plugs aren't so good in older style engines.
    The following parts are NEW-
    plugs, wires, rotor button, distributor cap, camshaft, intake manifold, lifters.

how many volts should be running to the distributor hot wire in HEI? I just have a hotwire straight from the positive terminal of the battery (other wire frayed, just figured i'd do that because it was just to try to get the motor running. well it's getting spark i know, but maybe somehow not enough.

**i also noticed on the last time i re adjuste the valves the pushrods had almost no point at with there was a "slight drag" it went from free spinning to i can't turn it by hand with less than 1/8 turn.

Maybe that will give ya'll some idea of what i've done, and some help eliminated or identifying problems.

Thanks everyone. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

13. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Your timing is incorrect. Now, where is my $5?

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    how many volts should be running to the distributor hot wire in HEI?

[/ QUOTE ]

Battery voltage (12.5 or so, at least 10 while cranking)

15. mudjunkie 82

Did you try the starting fluid???????

16. mudjunkie 82

and by the way are your lifters hydrulic. If so where they pumped up before you set the lash???????sounds like you might have set them before they were pumped up...................

17. BowtieRed

yes, and it will atleast go "poof poof" like it's trying to start, but won't start. I may just go ahead and spend the money on the edelbrock carburetor that i was planning on buying in about a month anyway just to see if it does anything.

18. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

try the ignition module,how old is the distributor? mine would run fine and then run like crap. i changed the module and its fine. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

19. mudjunkie 82

when it poof-poof's /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifis that out of the carb????

20. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    edelbrock carburetor

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it will do something, stall on any incline, throw fits every so often, will just piss you off in the end. You are better off with a rebuilt Q Jet. If you have gas soaked plugs, the engine is going poof out the carb, YOUR TIMING IS OFF!!