Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$50 Limit?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by B_to_C, Nov 18, 2005.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

I just stopped at the sinclair gas station down the street...I paid with my credit card at the pump. The pump shut-off at $50 :mad: I went inside and said "what, is there a $50 limit on credit card purchases?" the guy said "uuhhhh, yea I think so"

That's just inconvenient! :mad: With a 31 gallon tank, and at OVER $2 a gallon why would this place think I will come back after topping out there limit, and not getting my tank full? :mad:

[/RANT]

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm sure it has something to do with minimizing the possibilty of credit card fraud. Too bad they don't adjust the maximum charge up and down with the cost of fuel, though......

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

u can usually just reswipe the card and pump more, buddy of mine does that in his truck. I dont have to worry about it unless gas gets up around 3 bucks again. Then each of my tanks is over the limit, but as is, I have to move to fill both tanks.

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

That's exactly what it is.

Just hang up the hose, start it up again and top it off. Before gas went up some stations had a 30.00 shut off point. I asked the gal at the local station about it and she confirmed the reason. Now most stations have either a 50 or 100 shut off point.

5. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Well it's the first time I've experienced it, and I almost aways pay more then $50, bc if it's not near empty why make the trip to the station? I usually go to diamond shamrock or safeway though...

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

its station to station. The BP I worked at didn't have that rule. Whereas a few stations around here do.

7. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Don't go there anymore iff you don't like the hassle. That's what I did to those pay first pumps. They will eventually pick up on the idea why their sales are slumping.

8. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

The racetrack here does that but its the cheapest around 1.95 now, the suburban almost always maxes out and it wont take a double swipe so I use the check card for the 1st 50 and the CC for the odd 10 thats left.

At one point I had a good investment in the Blazers tank, I think I filled it up the day I parked it in March at around 1.35 I should of sold the gas in Sept I could of made a 100% profit :doah: , since then Ive only driven it around the block once a month, Ive put a whopping 126 miles on it since its emmisions test in Oct of 04 :(

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

my tank has not been topped off in over 6 months,,

most places are set at $50, but there are a few that have raised their limit due to the cost of fuel to $75.

oh how nice of them :rolleyes:

i say just drop the friggin price of the fuel, so we won;t HAVE to hit that limit

10. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Mini Cooper here I come!

11. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think that when you swipe your card they preauthorize your card for a certain amount. I agree they should probably raise that amount when gas gets so high, but other than SUV's the majority of cars probably can be filled for $50. On the other hand, a few years ago, when gas was considerably cheaper, I was traveling and filled at a truckstop. They preauthorized my card for $250 and put a hold on my account for that much, then ran the purchase through as a charge. It took 3 days to remove the hold, with no action on my part. I probably would not have known about it unless I had been close to my limit and needed the credit, but I checked my card online when I got home as we had been traveling for two weeks and I like to watch for unauthorized activity. My wife's CC number was stolen when we were on a 3 day weekend, and by the time we got home it was maxed out!

12. 69TowRig

69TowRig 1/2 ton status

Every time I find a store that has the limit, I note it and move on, never buying gas from that store again. Running my 25-gallon tank near empty and filling up all the way is always more than $50.

13. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Running any gas tank near empty is not good for in-tank fuel pumps. Most fuel pumps use the gasoline as a coolant to prevent overheating, and the pump doesn't have to work as hard if the lowest you go is say... 1/4 tank.

14. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Never heard this before. Is this something that you've read and can validate?
    I'm not trying to bust you're balls on this, but I want to know that it's true before I change my driving habbits.

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

maybe on something w/ an in tank pump (I've heard & read it, too), but w/ a mech pump on the side of the engine block any amt of fuel in the tank won't cool chit. You may, however, run into problems picking up trash in the tank.

16. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You know it's bad when you pump to $50 and the pump shuts off.....

You RE-SWIPE and pump to $50 AGAIN....and the pump shuts off....AGAIN.

.....and my tank STILL wasn't full. :eek1:

Having a 50-gallon tank is cool, except on the days it needs filling.

17. 69TowRig

69TowRig 1/2 ton status

When I say "near empty" I mean down to maybe 10%. At the rate gas is selling for it always runs over $50. I'm well aware of the fuel-pump issues, I know a few idiots that have run their tanks dry and then cry later when their fuel pumps take a dump. Besides, the truck I do that to is a Furd.

18. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Yep, it's true. But the problem seems to manifest itself much more in Fords for some reason, at least up my way. It got to the point that my company was replacing a Ford fuel pump once every few weeks- they finally issued a bulletin telling drivers to keep the gas tank at 1/2 or fuller, and within about a month our fuel pump issues disappeared.

That was back in 95 or 96. Things may have changed since then........:dunno:

19. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

i think it's interesting when i hear this comment with the mechanical fuel pump engines,,,the fuel pick up is at the bottom of the tank anyways,,,never moves :dunno: so you're always drawing fuel from the bottom, where all the "dirt" is.

20. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

same problem at my gas station but then I found if I just use the pump on the bank where the diesel is there is no cutoff since it will always go over 50 for big diesel tanks. :D