Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

50 Ohm Coax??

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Smitty, Jan 29, 2001.

1. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Just picked up an RCI 2950 DX for my truck. Everything I read says to use 50 ohm coax with this radio but all I've been able to find is 52 ohm radio coax. I want the install of this radio to be done right the first time but don't know where to find the right stuff. Any suggestions?

Smitty

2. REDNECK

REDNECK Registered Member

That will be fine to use. I would suggest using rg-8 but that is some thick stuff. Rg-52 will handle around 1000 watts and is still easy to work with. That is a very good radio, and should be able to get you out of some tough situations. Hope this helps.

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Get an 18 foot legnt of rg-58/u, which is the stuff you're looking at. 18 foot is good legnth because it is velocity tuned to the frequency you're running. Actually its supposed to be in incriments of 14' to velocity tuned but for some reason you start at 18 then go to 28, 42 and so on. You won't need all that legnth but I'm just trying to explain because its difficult to explain. rg-8 is WAY to big for a vehicle, you get into that if you're running a base and have over a 50' run. The rg-58 should handle about 500 watts and the rg-8 around 2,000 watts. Don't worry about the 2 ohm difference, its the correct coax. If you were to co-phase 2 antennas you would need 75 ohm coax.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

The cable I picked up only came in 20 foot lengths. Do I need to cut the end with the two terminals off to make it 18 foot or will the two feet mess with it that much?

Smitty

5. REDNECK

It is better to run one solid piece than to join two pieces together. The more connections the more power loss. I run rg-8 on both my Blazer and my S-10. Less than 20% power loss with that stuff. I also use it on the base. I bought two wison 1000 magnet mounts and junked all the other anteannas I owned. The top is seperate from the base which comes in handy when trying to park in the garage or when traveling those trails that your buddys are sure theyh have been on before. Hope this helps.

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I wasn't thinking of joining two pieces together, just cutting 2 feet off the piece I have so it'll be 18 foot long. I keep hearing this magic number of 18 foot. Not sure why but it seems like there is a technical reason to have it in certain lengths (3', 6', 9', 12', 15', 18', etc). I don't have any problem cutting it but I don't want to waste any of it if I don't need too. I also only want to put this in once.

Smitty

7. REDNECK

Sorry! The 18 feet piece only comes into play if you will be using the extra channels excluding sideband. It also sometimes helps to lower SWR readings. 18 feet is in about the fourth wavelength and so is 20 feet, but if you go into 22 feet it becomes the fifth wavelength. Anything within the same wavelength will not affect performance. Get one of those solder on ends from radio shack, strip back the shield 1/2 inch, remove the foil around the carrier wire back 1/4 inch, dope with flux, screw into connector until wire shows at end, then take the torch and solder the end . Smooth up with sandpaper or a nail file and VOILA! Don't forget to slide outer sleeve onto coax before putting the end on if it is a two piece connector. Hope this helps!

8. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it turns out once I get it all done.

Smitty