Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$50 REWARD -- and the winner is ....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rampage, Mar 20, 2001.

1. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Now that I have your attention, I am offering a $50 reward (no joking!) to the person who can correctly identify my problem. See the thread " Idle too fast - not passing CA emissions"

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Re: $50 REWARD

Dunno if this will ease your pain but my EGR gave me absolute fits back in January. I tore it off and sealed the hole, plugged the vac line and its been great since. EGR's arent "required" here in Az but everything else is!

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Feel out your profile. Where are you at in CA. I know a great smog tech. He is this area's smog inspector. (He is my brother). If he can't pass it nobody can..LOL

Become one with nature..........Then marinate it..

4. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

which blazer is it the 89 ?If its TBI the throttle shaft may be worn a local shop installs brass bushings for 50?spray starter fluid at each side you'll see it right away if its not that pull the hose loose from the egr it may have major carbon up that port it leads to the IAC port.

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

It's the 89 with fuel injection.
    CA doesn't require emission tests for anything earlier than 73.

6. gokartergo

If your off one day during the week and want to drive to Morgan Hill. It is less then a hour a way from you. He could get it to pass.

Become one with nature...........Then marinate it..

7. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

If I can't get it fixed myself within the next few days I may take you up on that offer. But I'd rather save myself the repair bills if you know what I mean ... unless he works for beer *L*.

8. gokartergo

No he doesn't. But I did read your other post. I won't talk to him tonight . But I might tomorrow. I will talk to him and see if he has any ideas.

Become one with nature................Then marinate it.

9. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

By the way, its the FIRST person that gives me the correct solution. Obviously if 10 people tell me to do the same thing I can't be giving all 10 people $50 ... that would defeat the purpose *L*

10. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

What part of California are you in? I used to have an 89. I know when my throttle body gasket was bad, i was sucking up gas and idling high.. Just a thought.. after replacing the gasket my gas bill went from 60 per week to 35 but that was when gas was only 1.00 per gallon still.

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

sarazh5, is on the it. check the T.B.I. gasket. It is THE most probable cause, check it by; spraying carb/brake clean (out-side, fumes are nasty!), around the T.B.I. , the idle should go up or down. What happens is the gasket gets sucked up into the passages of the T.B.I. and causes a vacume leak, the I.A.C. goes to "full close" to lower the idle, but the vacume leak by-passes it and bleads off more air than the I.A.C. can compensate, the engine gose lean, then the O.2 sensor "sees" a lean condition and the E.C.M. adds more fuel causeing a high idle speed.- thats he long story.
    In the short, change the T.B.I. gasket and make it run right.
    Do not by-pass I.M. tesing, Fact is that if your car/truck is hitting on all 8, with the right air/fuel, at the right time- It should pass. (althow calif is stiff, you may want to take your rabitts foot along too)

Coopertwpk might also be right, samething just alittle higher, any vacume leak below the throttle blades will have the same outcome, Isolate it by wiggiling the shaft or the brake/carb clean thing. Good luck!
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Twiztid on 03/20/01 09:55 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

12. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

According to the mechanic that fixed my throttle body gasket problem, this is a very common problem. I'll accept parts in trade for the 50.00 if i am right :-)

13. gokartergo

I wasn't helping you for the fifty bucks!!!!!!!! Just trying to help you you out...

Become one with nature.................Then marinate it....

14. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Have you checked your wire harness? It could be a bad wire giving bad info to the TPS (that's how it's called on TPI systems, not sure if it's the same on TBIs) or to the computer.

If you've checked everything and still no help, you'll probably need to replace the computer (cheap on ebay).

Hope this helps.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

15. 80blazer

80blazer Registered Member

My money is on the gasket under the TBI I had a 90 K5 and it experienced the same problem. I think the 3bolt design on the TBI is week at best one bright point is it is an easy job. Hope this helps. Jeff80blazer

Its time to lock them in!

16. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Neither was I but hey if i'm right, then cool. I'd split it with Twiz for telling him how to find out if i'm right. haha.

17. mudpuppy89k5

mudpuppy89k5 Registered Member

My '89 had the same problem with high idle. I finally had to bite the bullet and take it to a shop. Same solution as well - throttle body gasket was leaking. They replaced it and its been fine ever since.

John Perry
    http://www.mudpuppy.coloradok5.com/

18. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

So what happend Rampage? I wasn't lookin' for the cash, Sarazk5 can have it, or the throttle shaft bushing guy (???? name???). Each one is possible and probable.

Hopeing it passes, Twiztid

19. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I'll be checking it this weekend since I don't have access to a garage during the week, so I'll post an update on Monday to end everyones curiousity ... and anounce the winner. Personally I'm going to place my money on the TBI gasket leaking.

20. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Well, if it is the gasket you kinda will won't cha? Ha ha!!!! Have you noticed the $50 reward posted stayed at the top and the other one sorta sunk to the bottom? Ya'll are a bunch of greedy bastards, ain't cha? J/K!!!

[​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>