Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

500 Caddy engine with sm465

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Dec 7, 2005.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

does anyone out there know if this is possible or where i can find parts to do this? if it is possible are shorter\longer driveshasfts needed

500-sm465-205 thats the combo im looking for any info would be great.

by the way my membership ran out but when I subscribed it was sep 11 2005 how wierd is that. Ive only been a membet for 3 months

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Caddy info sites..

www.500cid.com

There are ways around this dilema...some guys simply drill the crank for a pilot bushing,since Caddy's never had a manual tranny behind them,GM didn't put a place for a pilot bushing to go...a buick,olds,or pontiac blowshield or bellhousing will bolt to a caddy block..

Not sure about your other question..only the motor needs to be modified to install it,the distance the drivshafts span wont change,since your not moving the tranny or transfer case at all...only thing the motor needs to be installed is custom motor mounts,a rear sump oilpan from an eldorado,along with its oil pump pickup tube(or a new aftermarket pan)....:crazy:

3. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do a search on CaddyCarlo on the web. He put a 4sp behind his 500.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

forgot..

I should add the center hole in a buick,olds,or pontiac bellhousing or blowshield designed for passenger car muncie and saginaw tranny's might not accept the SM465's input bearing collar without being hogged out to fit..car tranny's are smaller there..:crazy:

5. Blair

Blair Newbie

I have a cad 472 to sm 420 to np205 that I just blew up in my truck. The only hold up to the 465 is that the bellhousings that match the cad motor have the bearing retainer hole the same size as a sm 420 which is around 4.5 inches. The sm 465 is 5.125 or something like that. The bellhousing can be bored out by a machine shop quite easily though. I am replacing my cad with a stroker chevy so if you want a near new flywheel and a bellhousing let me know. Hope this helps!

6. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

Its something that im looking into because i want more power and the 350 just isnt doing it. I need to change out my 203 for the 205 and get the sm465 thanks for the insight I will read up on it some more. anyone know what size driveshafts for the manual\205 swap as i said before i would like to have the shafts so my downtime is limited its my daily driver.

7. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status