Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

500 caddy headers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigBadCad, Sep 22, 2004.

1. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

I'm looking into installing some headers on my 500 caddy in my 1980 crewcab and could use some advise. From the research I have conducted I believe the only alternative is to use BBC full length headers and weld them to a 500 caddy header flanges with starter tubes (either 1.75 or 2.00 dia).

What are my options for headers (brands) and what size starter tubes would be best suited for my particular application. I'm really don't have any experience with this sort of thing.

thanks in advance.

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

You are right. The only thing currently available is the big block Chevy headers welded to a caddy flange. Your other option is to build your own headers. Again it would be easier to start with the cadillac flanges that are available.

From what I understand of using the BBC headers is you have to heat the tubes and tweak them to fig the cadillac flange. Or in other words the ports don't match so you have to force them to match.

3. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

4. cybrfire

[ QUOTE ]
    There is a 425,472, 500 set of block hugger headers on ebay right now. I belive I just typed in cadillac 500 but not sure.

425,472,500 block huggers on ebay

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot all about the block hugger headers. Thanks for the correction.

5. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Its all good I stumbled on them by mistake. I deffinately want a set. Do you know where to buy them besides ebay. They are beautiful.

6. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using shorty headers? From what I have heard full length headers are better for low end torque. Anyone care to educate me on header design and applications?

7. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

For the most part yes full length does generate low end torque but i all actuality that shouldnt be an issue with a 500. It should generate quite a bit of torque and a little top end can never hurt. I am going to run the block huggers on mine.

8. cybrfire

Not sure where I seen them. Maybe Cadcompany or 500cid.com.

9. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Also, smaller diameter tubes are better for developing low end torque. Bigger diameter tubes are more suited to use in high horsepower levels.

I also just saw some Cadillac block hugger headers at one of the performance Cadillac websites (can't remember which one, duh!).

10. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

cad company makes a set of headers that are for swapping caddy 500's into 73-87 pick-up, blazer, & etc. i bought a set & was very unhappy w/ what i got they were poorly made & were shorty style. they also make the universal blk hugger style.

i have pics if any one would like to see. u could not even get bolts through the flange to bolt them on the head. the tubes were bent so tight to that flange there was no room for the bolt to fit. the tubes look like they made the bends by laying the tube on something & beating it w/ a hammer. i swear these were the worst looking things i have ever seen

since then i have returned those & bought flanges & bbc headers i am gonna mock them up this week.

11. cybrfire

take pictures as you go. Let's see what's involved. I plan on making my own headers. they will end up more like a boat header or a high flow manifold. Long ways from starting that project though.

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Going by what I have read online about several caddy to GM truck swaps,the stock RWD caddy 500 exhaust manifolds will line up with the stock small block dual exhaust pipes nearly perfect---and since the 500 is a low revving tourque monster,I dont think that headers will gain that much power,VS the amount of hassle getting them to fit and work--especially if all that is available is low quality stuff as the other post states.Somtimes simple is better--and a lot less expensive!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

13. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

simple usually is better but seeing how my 500 is gonna be pretty far from stock & i had eldo manifolds i will go w/ the headers.

i will post some pics when i get done. already posted some in a thread about my engine mounts.

diesel4me i beleif all engines can benafit from headers, espesially one w/ 500 cubes. something that huffs that much would surely apprieciate some help getting it out.

14. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Here is a link to a catalog that will have every dream part you ever wanted. http://www.cad500parts.com/catalog/catalog_v3.1.pdf

The company link is http://www.cad500parts.com/

These are the guys who have developed most of the hi-po cad parts available today over the past 25 years. They are the cadillac experts.

I have no clue about their headers though so you may want to take the previous advise before my post about them.