Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

500 caddy swap questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by YELL78, Jan 8, 2007.

1. YELL78

YELL78 Registered Member

hey guys just wanted to ask the guys that have done this swap what problems if any did you run into? i am considering doing this swap in my 78 pickup i want to keep all the ac and stuff because its still needs to be able to be driven daily. the ony stuff that i know is different and might cause me some isues is first motor mounts then the ac stuff and also i kow the bellhousings are different. Any help you all could offfer would be great and any pics of the above things would be even better. Thanks a lot.

2. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

look up project torgue that will tell you everything you need...

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

As far as swaps go, it's fairly straight forward. The caddy is a GM based engine. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if all the AC stuff had the correct fittings. I'll be finding this out soon enough. Engine mounts are probably the hardest part. The caddy stuff is approx. 5" further forward on the block. You may have to massage the firewall a little.

Bellhousing isn't really to major, adapter plate or use the 400 that came off the caddy, switch guts with another 400 4x4 version trans and go.

Oil filter location is less than desirable for some. Mines causing major havoc. I haven't wheeled it very hard and knocked out two of them already.

Big block headers can be modded and new flanges added to bolt on. I believe you can use the manifolds with no issues.

Only other thing I can think of is the linkage for the carb is wrong and will need to be modded.

Oil pan! you need a rear sump pan off a 425 and then they aren't exactly right. Some outfits out there selling rear sump pans that will bolt right on and go in your chevy frame.

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

5. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

eldo pans are hard to find, but an easy fit.