Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

500 caddy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazersnburban, Dec 10, 2006.

1. blazersnburban

blazersnburban Registered Member

when you put the 500 cad in these trucks, what trans do you use? the b.o.p. trans that has a short tailshaft and converted to a 4x4 trans?:confused:

2. mattman4x4

mattman4x4 1/2 ton status

If I put a 500 caddy in my truck I would use a TH400, and NP203 (its what I have already)
    just my though!

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get a BOP TH400 that came behind them from the factory. Rob the tailshaft and tailhousing from your current TH400 and swap it in. Other than the bellhousing, there is nothing about a BOP TH400 that's unique.

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

They make an adaptor that will mate a Chevy bellhousing trans to a BOP engine I have one on my buick motor (came out of a chevy truck)

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yup...

Those adapters can be had from Jegs or Summit Racing for about 70 bucks..they work OK,no need to swap a different tranny in for a 500 Caddy..I'd be easy on the accelerator if you had a TH350 or 700R4 though,the torque monster 500 could shred one if you beat on it!..

Actually,you can use the original Caddy TH400,if you swap in a short 4x4 output shaft and tailshaft..a few guys I know are running 472's and 500's in 2wd trucks using the Caddy's original tranny,they have a super long tailshaft with a different bolt spacing on the tranny mount,different bell housing bolt pattern to match the Caddy block--but other than that are identical to a Chevy TH400 ..the OEM Caddy tranny's are pretty beefy--they used extra clutches,knowing they weighed 3 tons,and were likely to see hard use..:crazy:

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, we noticed the extra clutches when we were rebuilding mine...we thought the rebuild kit might have shorted us clutches but Terry counted 'em and sure enough, there was 1 extra clutch in each pack.

Also, sorry, you don't need the adapter, but I got a my caddy motor and th400 for $200 so it was more feasible for me to swap parts between transmissions rather than buy an adapter plate and TRY to run a 700R4 behind that monster.

I can't wait to fire it. :D

7. blazersnburban

blazersnburban Registered Member

thanks for the replies guys...thinking about building a 500 cad for torque and was curious what you were doing to put them in.
    i didn't think the bop trannies tailshaft bolted off like the chevy's, but if thats the case sounds pretty much straight forward!