Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

500 cid Caddy TBI?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DavidB, Feb 15, 2007.

1. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Anyone tried this? Could a 454 setup be modded to work?

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

I don't know if it flows enough. I don't recall if I've seen it done or not. They do have fuel injection options, but it cost thousands I think.

3. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

I wonder if one could adapt the TBI body to the manifold, open it a bit for flow, and put bigger injectors in it...

4. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Did 500 cads ever come with TBI?

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

I know they came fuel injected in their last years, 75 and newer maybe. I don't think it was TBI though

6. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

it could be done, the two biggest things i would for see as issues are the correct amount of fuel and The distributor, i don't know if the distributors are the same or not, if not you might be able to fit the HEI stuff on to the caddy distributor. Another option to get more fuel is take your manifold and drill hols for injectors, you can get injector bungs and even metal glue them in, run some fuel rails and then get a throttle body and you have multiport, then just use a aftermarket ECM or a GM ecm that fired 8 injectors

7. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

A BBC TB and some high flow injectors #75 or above would work I reckon but you'd need a custom tune. I'm not sure if you could get a stock ecu to work that well (re-chipped) as it doesn't have that many variables. Possibly with a variable MAP it may. DynamicEFI's EBL would work fine and be a breeze to tune if you use WBo2 and IAT sensor as well. This would also work if you went multipoint or even twin TBs if you can source a manifold.

8. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

As stated above multi-port would be the way to go. Would eliminate so many hassles. I'm going to work with Affordable Fuel Injection to build my 427 SB:D injection system

9. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

76's came with a bad version of TBI.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

454 setup might be a BIT small, but TBI is going to be the cheapest way to EFI any non-Chev GM motor. Distributor guts can probably be swapped around easy enough.

Port FI is going to be EXTREMELY expensive. Just go look at the price of custom fuel rails alone. Even if someone already makes Cadillac specific EFI parts, they are going to be pricey.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

abortion??..

I read a 460 Ford intake can be bolted on a Caddy 500 with some adapters..wonder if you could morph a Ford EFI setup from a 460 on it??...that would be an abortion probably..:p:

Personally,I'd stick with a carb!..much cheaper,easy to fix,etc.. ..the 76 Caddy 500's with injection were a rather troublesome setup..maybe an aftermarket Holley or Edelbrock injection setup would be better,although costly..at least there's a good chance it'll run right..:crazy:

12. dyeager535

If you could find one of the Cadillac EFI setups, there MIGHT be some useful parts on it, such as fuel rails, but I have a feeling that as ahead of the times as it was (even if it didn't work well) most things used on it can't be adapted to modern parts.

Ford 460 huh? That would be something to look at I suppose. More common for sure.

13. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

You will have a problem with flow! GM did when they put Injection onto the 502. The 454 already has the biggest injectors. There is a tech Issue in last months hot rod about what it will take to make it work. (It's what GM did for the 502). But I chucked that mag. last week, sorry.:doah: But they even had all the part#'s. If you do a search in hot rod it is about a '89 454 stroked to a 496ci.

If I remember correct, They had to put a larger flow pump in the tank, and us a varible pressure regulator. So at idle it would lower the fuel pressure, and open it up at WOT.

Wish I kept the mag. Now I want to stroke my '89 V30 to a 496:D

14. nocoasthardcore

nocoasthardcore Registered Member Premium Member

If you could find a dual quad manifold, a pair of TBI adapter plates, and run two throttle bodies. A chip from Turbo City.

It could work?

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

16. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

OK, I'm interested! I'm really lacking in this dept. though. Keep the discussion going.

17. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

If anyone bids and wins that auction, it's in my city, if you think we can ship it for less than 14 bucks, I'll be happy to pick it up and ship it. I'll even hold it if you can't afford shipping right away. Just make sure I can pick it up with the seller.

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Well.... All the parts are there .. But.... The main problem with making everything work with the caddy motor is the DIST. Stock GM TBI ECM wont work with anything else but a TBI DIST. Dont know if you can install one in a caddy motor. So you would prolly need a diferent system with a programmable ECM that will work with a BB HEI dist. Like the Holley commander, Megasquirt or Dynamic EBL. Or maby you could get the innards of a TbI system dist in a custom dist that will fit the caddy motor so you could use the stock GM ECM. Then you would need a good chip programming man and a dyno for a day and some $$$$ to get everything right.

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have bought a couple of TBs from xtreme-fi. They are good people with a quality product.(at least from my experience with them). and their shipping is fast and prices are fair. 14.00&S/H for priority mail ain't bad for a TB. + they credit you 30.00 to paypal if you send back a old TB.

20. dyeager535

Actually most if not all of the car carbed (CCC) distributors will work as well.

If there was a Caddy motor made 1980-1990 that used the same distributor as on a 500 (as in it will drop in place) then you can use it with TBI.

Problem is, only Caddy motor I can think of 1980+ is the 4.1L, and as I recall that was pretty much a bastard engine.

In any case, all of the GM HEI distributors are about identical in function, and I don't see why you couldn't (with a few mods of course) convert coil in cap chev CCC/TBI distributor guts to fit the Cadillac distributor. I'd be willing to bet the module, pickup coil and cap all mount nearly the same.