Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

5000 lbs. Paper Weight

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by loudandproud, Oct 4, 2000.

1. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

Well I've got a 5000 lbs paper weight sitting in front of my house, oh wait a minute thats my 90 Jimmy. My question is, did any of these come with factory security systems with remote keyless entry??? I bought this truck from some guy and the remote doesn't work anymore, probably cuz it got sent threw the wash today. I can't turn the alarm system off. I cut the wire going to the loud speaker, so it doesn't make noise. I can't start my truck because there must be some kind of ignition cut off or something. I found where the security system box thing is, but I have no idea how it got where it is, unless it came from the factory that way. So does anybody have any idea as to what I should do?

2. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

You could call a shop that installs security systems and see if they could come and disarm it.
    Just a thought they might want too see proef that you own the paperweight in question[​IMG]so they know you didn't steal it.

[​IMG]

3. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

I think there is a purple wire under the dash where the starter kill in probably connected to. Take the wire coming from the security box off of this wire and reconnect the purple wire together.

4. loudandproud

There is a wire harness going to the security box, a whole bunch of wires. I was hoping to find 1 or 2 wires coming from it, but NOOOOO there are like 15 or 20.

5. loudandproud

Still no luck. [​IMG]

6. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Try this. Sometimes it works. Diconnect your battery put your key in the on position. While the key is in the on postion reconnect the battery. The alarm should stay off. If not...Go someplace that sells alarms, take your old clicker and buy a new one. They should be able to code the new one for you as long as you have the old one with you. Hope this helps.

78 K-5

7. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Ok, i typed this once and lost it. So here we go again!!!
    First, look under the dash for alittle toggle switch or a push button. If you can locate on, the other or both, you will want to insert your key into the ignition, turn it to the run psition, and flip the switch, or push the button, hopefully this works. If no then.....
    Look up under the dash, there should be a MAIN harnes coming from the top of the steering colum and working its way towards the bottom of the firwall. It should be wrapped in tape, but seeing as someone has installed an alarm, it might not be. You should notice that in this harness is some thin wires, about 16 gauge, and thicker wires , about 12 gauge. The thicker ones should be <font color=red>red</font color=red>, <font color=purple>purple,</font color=purple> pink, etc tec. The big <font color=red>red</font color=red> one should be constant power. The pink is your ignition. The <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple> one should be your starter wire. If the alarm has a starter kill, then the purple wire should be cut in half and routed to a relay. You will want to reconect the purple wire as it would be from the factory, just splice it back together. Like i said the wire will be thicker than the others. Also, the red and pink wires shouldnt be cut in half, instead they should be just tapped on to. It is hard for me to say since I didnt install the alarm.
    Worst case scenerio, put yur key in the ignition and turn it to the run position, the crawl under the truck and using a screw driver jump power to the solanoid to start the truck. Just tricking it into thinking you turned the key. Just be carefull and please dont get hurt, make sure the truck is in park and that the ebrake is on. This is a LAST RESORT only and is very dangerous. Good luck let me know how it turns out.HAVE A NICE DAY!!!

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

8. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

If the previous owner insalled it like we did, he might have left a way to still start it if the batteries in the remote wear out or is lost. In the steering column wire harnes like DBLAZER posted we left a quick disconnect plug that routes to the alarm-central. That way it could be driven home if the remote was down.... Had to hide it up in the column though, so it took a screwdriver and some pannel removing to get to...

Good luck!

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

9. loudandproud

Ok problem solved, thanks guys. I put the key in the on postion and reconected the battery, like Sparky said, then started it up. But there was still a red light on inside my truck, that I didn't know why it was on, but then I did DBlazer's thing about the togle switch and now the light is off. Now I know that I have to have the key in the on position for that stupid toggle switch to work. I thought the switch was broken. Thanks A LOT guys, my 90 Jimmy is no longer a paper weight. [​IMG]

10. loudandproud

Now I just have to go and get new remotes

THANKS EVERYBODY WHO RESPONED
    This site is awesome

11. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status