Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

500cad to 465 to doubler questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paxx, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Ok I was under the impression that the 465 would bolt up to the 500 caddy engine other than the machining of the crank. I was talking to a guy at the local fab shop who said he thought it was a different olds pattern that won't mate up. Who is correct?

Also when I add my doubler I want to eliminate any weak areas before the 500 hits, so no 10 spline outputs, etc. I want all 32 spline.

Which specific t-cases should I be using? I have the 205 now but was told the machining and labour on my 10 spline unit would not be worth it. I might as well look for the proper unit to start with and I don't yet have a 203 either.

Any help would be welcome.
    Thnx.
    ~Max

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the 10 spline 205 statement is probably true. Machine work, time, effort to convert it.

Caddy engine has a BOP bolt setup. Different then the Chevrolet pattern. Have to get a bellhousing that will work(no idea if such a thing exists). Adapter plate, or go Auto.

3. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

going auto is out of the question, going 4500 isnt though. If i need to buy a new tranny bellhousing or an adapter I might as well use what I really want right off the bat.

Anyone know of good years I should look for to get this setup?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The *ONLY* bellhousing that may exist that I have never seen, would be from one of the early Olds diesel equipped trucks that was a manual.

Other than that, you aren't going to find any bellhousings BOPC pattern that are a bolt on, since they were all car destined and used the smaller input bearing. I think an adapter plate would be the easiest thing to use.

I think re-reading what you wrote, you meant where to get the NV4500. The years have been covered previous, but you'll also be looking only in 3/4 ton+ trucks, 5 speed with removeable bellhousing. The NV3500 was a one piece design.

5. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

bill said:

http://forums.500cid.com/viewtopic.php?t=200