Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

502 RamJet help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by toy4fun, Mar 5, 2003.

1. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

Any one running the 502 ramjet and if so do you have any advice on how to get it to run good? I got the O2 kit from AS&M but it steel is not right anyone run in to any problems that might be able to save some time and money. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

there are a few folks here who run them but i can't recall their handle, so we should be able to help you

OH and BTW i don't like you because you have a RJ502 /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

welcome to ck5

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    OH and BTW i don't like you because you have a RJ502

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that. At least the first post is 'how do I make my badass RJ502 work' instead of 'can I fit XX tires on XX truck with XX lift?'

Welcome to CK5. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

And look....HE'S ORANGE /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif This one's a keeper. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sorry I can't help you with your question...I only WISH I had experience with a Ram-Jet 502. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

What kind of problems are you having? Should be pretty much plug and play.......did it not run right originally, then you added the AS&M O2 sensor kit?

6. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that. At least the first post is 'how do I make my badass RJ502 work' instead of 'can I fit XX tires on XX truck with XX lift?'

Welcome to CK5. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks! for the welcomes:)
    I was hoping that my first post was Check Out My Bad Ass K502 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif but I have a way of learning thing the hard way and the Expensive Way /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    First off that is why I bought the create motor is because I thought it was a pug in and go, and dummy me /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif 86 K5 low p.s.i. fuel system need to be replaced with a high p.s.i. that was the first of my problems, 502 comes with a short water pump,( like the early GAMC's) that leaves the fan to far away to do any good.:(

Anyway may problem is I think my fuel pump I have been told that it has enough psi but not enough volume for that big of motor, and I have been told that the that if it can maintain the p.s.i. then the pump is not the problem. I have been told that my fuel lines are not big enough. I have been checking out this forum for a while and I knew that you would have some good advice. Newbie to the K5World and would welcome any Advice

7. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

aaaahhhhh, another Ram Jet owner, whats the problems your having? As far as fuel pumps, I am running a new tank and pump from a 94 chevy p/u with no problems. That is what the dealer recommended to run. Let me know if u have anymore questions. Good Luck.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Welcome to CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm so jellous, I want a RamJet502 majorly !!!! If it's too much of a problem for you, I'd be glad to trade ya my 400 small block for it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    The RJ502 was my dream motor as far as crates go, but now GM is going to produce marine versions of the Vortec 8100. IIRC the numbers are 525 hp at 5400rpm and 560 lb-ft at 4000rpm, and thats on 87 octane! But it really doesn't matter, because my truck gets down the road just fine. Oh yeah, and I'm a poor student /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

What PSI does that need to run at - 43.5 like a TPI? I would assume similar pressure to open the injectors, etc. If you need help, go to www.thirdgen.org and both search and ask about the fuel pump options available on the 'TPI Board' section, there is a wealth of info. I ran all new 3/8" steel supply lines to my TPI motor - and 5/16" return lines - since the factory lines on my 79 and probably your 86 have some rubber, and rubber lines that are NOT meant for the high pressure you now need. I'd suggest getting a fuel pressure gauge that you screw onto the schrader valve (think you should have one of those on the injection rail somewhere) to check out what you have now. You can get one from www.tpis.com or ask me if I want to sell mine since I no longer have my TPI K5.

Good luck, keep asking and we'll keep trying. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I have heard about the 8.1 and I think it would have worked out better for me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I also heard that GM was coming out with a 572 CI. crate motor with 720 HP, and one version that ran on pump gas 92 with 620 hp, I cant wait to see how they want for one of those babies$$$$$$$

12. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I also heard that GM was coming out with a 572 CI. crate motor

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean this??? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

Ya!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifmight not be any good for crawling or gas m.p.g. but would kick ass in the mud or sand /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif