Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

502Burban's 4L80E

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BAJA_BLAZER, Oct 1, 2001.

1. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

502Burban\'s 4L80E

Robb, I am interested in learning more about your 4L80E and 205 swap. I tried the e-mail address in your profile but it gets rejected. Are you still on-line?

Ramsey

2. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Re: 502Burban\'s 4L80E

If you could post any info here, that would be GREAT!!

3. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Still Looking!

Ramsey

4. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Hey Ramsey --

Yup, I'm still here; just been pretty busy w/work lately. If you want to e-mail me, you can always use a Private Message or remove the "nospam" part from my listed e-mail address.

As for the 4L80E/NP205 combo install, what info are you looking for? I will give you some basic info here; if you need more just post back with specifics that you need. I have part numbers and such for just about all the pieces that I've used.

My Suburban was originally equipped with a 350cid small-block Chevy with a TH350 trans. I purchased (used) a TH400/NP205 combo out of a K30 truck. Bought a Jet Performance 4L80E for 4x4 application, along with one of their HD RV torque converters.

Modifications:
    1) The T-Case adapter needs to be machined for the O-ring seal from the 4L80E. Had this done by Craig Calkins at CRC Performance Transmissions in Thousand Oaks (805) 497-0399. He specializes in 4x4 driveline work, and knew what needed to be done.

2) Had to install the longer input shaft into the NP205. The short shaft for the TH400 would not provide enough engagement. Ended up removing approx. 3/8" from tailshaft of 4L80E to keep from bottoming-out in the new input shaft.

3) Had to move the T-Case crossmember back and re-drill mounting holes in the frame rails. Depending on what trans/t-case combo you started with, you may need to move it back by anywhere from an inch to several inches. I just bolted everything into place and marked and drilled.

4) Had to extend the length of the trans shift rod that comes down from the steering column. With the new combo being several inches longer, it would no longer reach the bellcrank. Additionally, this caused me to have to move the bellcrank mounting cup back a few inches along the frame rail. Also needed to bend the bellcrank a bit to clear the driver's side header collector. All the stock linkage pieces worked, otherwise.

5) The driveshaft will have to be shortened due to the longer trans/t-case assy.

6) Last, you will also need a transmission control computer. There are several sources for these, including Jet, TCI, and others. Personally, I like the TCI unit.

Hope all this helps. If not, just let me know.

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</a>