Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

51" TIRES????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by saguy, Feb 1, 2005.

1. saguy

saguy Registered Member

Hey, can anybody help me out here, i want to know if getting 51" tires on a 88 k5 with a 12 inch lift is overkill.
    If not, what are the chances of me breaking stuff on my truck if i did get them?
    im not going to be doing any offroading, its a show truck, and sadly enough she will be staying out of the mud.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

:blush:

j/k. LOL. If its a street queen run them all you want, if you have 1 ton runnin gear. Ive got a buddy who runs an S-10 blazer on 46" claws with a d60/14B he wheels his and has no problems. Why go 51's? 44's will win trophies.

Keep in mind yer rear axle will see most of the load as it rolls the truck. I wouldnt recommend them on anythin but a 14bolt or a D60 rear. A 1/2 ton axle will hold the tires, but dont think or runnin it in 4x. Ball joints ujoints and bearings will get a work out too.

[​IMG]

3. saguy

saguy Registered Member

thanks

hey. thanks for the reply, ok the reson i want tome 51's is becuase i can get them cheaper that 44's.
    Now you said they will run on a 1/2 ton axle, like i said it will never go in the mud, so 4x will tot be used anyways...so would i still be safe, everything stock but gears , driveshaft, lift, and then the tires?

4. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Depends on what kinda rig yer runnin.... Personally, I wouldnt put them on anythin less than 1ton runnin gear. Ive seen 10bolts and 44s hold up against 44" tires, but those people change out ball joints n bearings.

5. saguy

saguy Registered Member

thanks

ok thanks for the help, where could i get a 1 ton from, just to see how much it would set me back.If all else fails i shall get 44's. Thanks for the help !!

6. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

What kinda truck are you buildin?

7. saguy

saguy Registered Member

i have an 88 k5 blazer, 350 engine. but its not going to be used for anything but shows and weekend driving, no trails.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

those tires are VARY HEAVY and your 1/2 ton brakes will puke there guts trying to stop them so be ready for brake upgrades.

9. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

junk yards will have a 14bolt rear end. ask a few local repair facilities if they have a number you can call or if they can get you one. a junk yard one youl prolly have to rebuild but you can get rebuilt ones as well. not sure in your area though. id do a disk brake conversion just to help stop those large tires. ever think of rockwell axles?

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, it'll work on half tons but...

People such as the ones here at CK5 will laugh and poke fun when they see it parked at the mall getting gawked at by 8 year olds. They'll sit there and pick apart everything. If you're real unlucky you'll end up on the scary steering page.

11. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Tech ?'s are welcome, but be prepared for scrutiny.

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You are going to get the retarded "poser this and that" bullcrap that is stupid. Many folks (not anyone in particular) think if something is built to look good it is somehow worth "less" than something that is built to drive over rocks..... ignorant.

If you don't drive the vehicle hardly at all then your 10B's will probably stand 51's for a while with the proper gearing. Regardless anything over 44" is too large to be safe on the road IMHO.

13. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Shows fine and all, but just for that fact don't scrimp on VERY neccesary things like brake, steering, gearing, and axle upgrades.

14. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

"poser this and that" ~Jonny-K5

:D seriously tho.we here are a wheeling club, not a show truck club. so naturally we are going to pick apart trucks that are "posing" as true off roaders. personally i think it would look bitchin, but only if it was done right, and for those size tires that means at least 1 tons axles.

as far as will it work? you could probly putt around with them, but like its been stated above, it'll wear the parts out real fast(balljoints,bearings,brakes) speaking of brakes, i would be scared to drive it with stock 1/2 ton brakes. i notice a big difference when i swap out my street tires for mudders that are 20 lbs heavier per tire. but they are still only 100lbs. i cant imagine how much a 51 weighs, 300+? diameter plays a big part in how good your brakes work too. bigger it is, harder it is to stop.

oh and one last thing, will they even fit with 12" lift. im sure your not going to want to cut the fenders since this is a show truck, but i dont think they'll be able to turn very far before they come in contact with the rear portion of the front fender. i dont know much about huge lift/tire combos so this is just an estimate.you might need a 3" body lift to help clear em.

15. rjfguitar

The funny thing is most show guys have no intentions of trying to give the appearance of an offroad truck, they run swampers and lifts because they look aggressive and good. Almost all show guys don't build trucks to "look" like an offroader because they find that look very unattractive. It's all about sleek body lines and smooth finishes. Winches and heavy iron bumpers don't give that appearance one bit. Infact, if you came up to a show guy and said, "wow, it looks like one hell of an offroader..." He would probably respond with a dirty look. (also a way to piss of a show guy :D )

Just remember, you may be making fun of the new, clean chevy dmax with a modest lift, 35" swampers, Weld rims, and shiny chrome shocks.....but they are making fun of you too with your dorky bumpers and hideous dented, scratched up paint and bodies. They think you look just as silly as you think they do. ;) Obviously different strokes for different folks.

(FYI I have no intentions of starting another worthless, clean truck vs weekend warrior thread. This is not MY opinion and I personally like everything from tube buggies to modestly done show trucks. I am just laying out the "view" of things in third person writing. ;) )

16. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

fixed it for ya. i dont think that dmax quite fit the part of a truck i'd make fun of.

good points tho. :waytogo:

17. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

nice!!!

18. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i think you might need to look into some serious trusssing and possibly hydrolic steering.

51s are massive and im surre very hard to turn even on pavement.

are you looking at those 51s on ebay that you can get for 20 in rims?

or michilen xls?

ive seen the michilen xls on a bug. not as big as one would think but still towerd over the 44in bogger.

19. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I'm a "beef" kinda guy, I like overkill and makin **** unbreakable.

Which is why I would offer up a suggestion of rockwell axles, with them you would inherite a pinion break which is great for stopping big tires. 6.72 gears and detroits i believe were quite comon as well.

20. rjfguitar

Actually no, you completely changed my point.... I ignore vehicles like what you changed it to (and toyotas in general ;) ) and I was refering to the average lifted fullsize truck with nice rims and tires with a few odds and ends like billet grilles and maybe his 4-6 shocks chromed....to make it look like a really nice custom truck. Not the retards on 40"+ tires with toyota sitting on top of them.