Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52/56 Swap Update - (ADVICE NEEDED) *PICS*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTMike, Jun 10, 2005.

1. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

And a turn for the worse :(

Using the lift springs was a baaaaad idea. The difference in the front w/ the 2" lift 52's and the 12" lift springs was at most 4 inches, and the rear about 3" I'm sure it's partially due to the longer shackles, but it's still WAY higher than I had hoped, even looking past the body lift I had planned on removing. Additionally, the passenger side sits about 1 to 1.5" lower than the driver side in the front for some reason. I'm not sure if the springs I bought are messed up, or if it's a shock issue or what..

So here's the plan - I'm gonna do some more soul searching (aka CK5 searching) and decide if I"m gonna try to remove leaves, or just get some stock length (new from JCwhitney - I don't want junk yarders, and the closest junk yard that has any chevy's that aren't picked down to the frame is over 100 miles away) 52's & 56's .

I think with the longer shackles, and the body lift as a backup tire clearance, I'll be sitting right for clearing my 38.5's with the stock 52's up front and the stock 56's & flip kit out back. Plus, leaving the body lift makes the work easier when it's doubler time in next year's budget :)

Here's the pics:

[​IMG]
    Here's how the truck sits w/ 2" lift 52's and a 3" body lift. Much less change than I had anticipated in ride height over 12" lift springs!

[​IMG]
    Another angle...

[​IMG]
    A great view of the DIY4x shackle flip painted & installed. The wieght of the truck is on "2 Ton Sally" - the huge (heavy-diesel duty) engine hoist we've been using to prop the truck up. (Yes I plan on putting an H-bar in the shackles when we're done)

[​IMG]
    Another view of the DIY shackle flip...

[​IMG]
    And finally, the infamous 56" swap Shackle lock - what happens when you don't turn the flip's around. We had started with them reversed, and the angle was OK, but not great. But with the shackles that steep, there was hardly ANY change in the height of the rear over the 8" springs & 4" blocks, so we turned them back to the "right" way to check shackle angle, and they collapsed when I put the truck in reverse.

I wasn't able to get a pic of the truck at ride height with the shackles properly positioned..

So, who has some advice for me? Should I go for stock springs and get the ~5" lift that they provide? Should I remove leaves with the lift springs I have?

Thanks

2. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Sh!tcan the body lift and move the rear hangars back a few inches and I bet it turns out like you wanted :thumb:

3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Since removing a leaf is free, my opinion is to try that first. Just a little over a month until the Divide Ride, I know you're trying to get everything situated before that. I hope to see you there!

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Easy fix... buy some 44's! :D

5. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

agreed but also for a 52 inch swap your front shackle angle blows, did you move the shackle hanger forward at all b/c youd get better flex and drop you an inch, I just finish the front 56 swap and my shackle angle is right at 45 degrees, were from what I read it were you want it

6. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

mike if a stock 52" spring gives 4-5 inches of lift you should expect at least 7 inches from a 2" lift 52" one. longer shackles add to that! add that 3" body lift, 10 inches plus :deal: remember you wanted no fender mods. i say axe the body lift also :hack: that puts you at 7 inches lift, not bad. as far as clearance for doubler, hack the floor! not sure on removing leaves cause usually the tuff country leaves are thicker and the main leaf has the arch :dunno: if you need springs i have a nice set of stock 56's that i bought for my front spring swap before i decided on 52's. if you can use em they are yours! :D

7. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advice.....

I will actually take you up on that offer :) Thanks man, I'll PM you.

8. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

OK, Here's the deal - I bought some stock 52's from JCWhitney (Free shipping rocks :D) and a special thanks to Hellbent for hooking me up with the 56's. I'm ditching the TC Lift springs (Will probably sell when done) and leaving in the body lift at this time.

Thanks for the help, advice and info everyone!!

-Mike

9. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

what size 56 inch springs were you running ????

10. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

he was using 4 inch lift 56's

11. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Yup. I was using Tough Country 4" lift 56's. Those plus a 4" shackle flip, +2" longer shackles, and the 3" body lift that's already there made for much more lift than I had hoped for. Realistically, the back end dropped about 2" over the 8" springs and 4" blocks. I don't know if I just didn't add properly or if I underestimated what that much looked like, but I definately should have taken the advice of many and just went with the cheaper stock springs in the first place instead of dropping the cash for 4 tough country lift springs.