Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52/56s on first gen?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MNorby, Aug 20, 2006.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just piicked up a 71 k5 for $150. Gonna budget build a weekend warrior rig. I have all kinds of extra sets of 52s and 56s I have scored for the truggy. Anyone running these springs on the 1st gens? I never really read about them on these years. Thanks for the indo, can't wait to start building this new rig

2. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

56's are the only way to go on a first gen IMO when doing a shackle flip. They put the axle slightly back from the original position (52's you have to slide the axle back 1 1/2 with a shackle flip) they are fairly easy to get new or used and don't seem to sag as bad with hard use as a 52. I used a set from a burb with a 2" add a leaf with my homemade frame brackets and ended up with about 5-6 inches of lift, enough to clear 37s without trimming the wheel openings. 64's are too long to use without some serious mods.
    Order some shackles and brackets from ORD or get the torch and welder out and get building.

3. 1967k10

1967k10 1/2 ton status

I assume you are talking 52"s or 56"s on the front? I'm trying to get DIY4X to build some but I don't think he has gotten a frame to build off of yet.

4. bigblock72

I didn't even consider you could be talking front springs. 52's on the front seems very doable (i've never done it myself though). Just follow the directions on this site and it should work well.

5. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Any certain years trucks to look for? Stock 56's and shackle flip = 4"?

6. bigblock72

I personally prefer the 1/2 ton trucks and burbs because they have a fairly moderate sized spring pack with friction pads on the end of the leafs, but any 56" spring will work you just may have to adjust the amount of leaves to suit your needs. Stock 56" springs and shackle flip is usually closer to 3", it varies on the weight of your rig and the condition of the donor springs, worst case just throw in an add a leaf you're there. When you put it together make sure your u-bolts are long and don't cut them until you go on a test drive and get the springs to settle in.

7. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks for the info, I have pondered this idea for a while now. Just couldnt find any info on here about it, until now.

8. MNorby

yeah, I have 52 in the front and 56s in the rear of my 83 truggy and i have like 2 extra sets of each. I also have a lift for a 1st gen front springs, they are 2 leaves and look like the arch of a 4". I may just use that top leaf and put half a set of 52 pack under it too. For the rear I will build my own shakle flip like this one i found and prob go 56s.

MVC-001S.JPG

9. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    i'll be running 52/63s on mine shackle flip in the rear *i may go with a shorter shackle in the rear, not sure how the 6.0 ORD shackle will work* and will be running a 7" shackle with the 52s. i know LucasJ03 is running 52/63s on his '72 K5.

10. MNorby

I started mocking up the 56s in the rear tonight to figure where to build my rear shakle hanger. Will hopefully finish this weekend.

11. MNorby

well got my rear shackle flip built with 56s and some 4" springs on the front now. The rear sites 2.5" taller than front. I will take the overload out of the rear pack to drop it roughly 3/4 inch then a zero rate in the front to move the front axle forward an inch or so and give it an inch of lift then it will be ~1" taller in rear w/o a top on. The shackle flip pic is with no rear end and springs unloaded. I forgot my camera at shop with the pic of the shackle angle with the springs loaded

71k590406.jpg

shackleflip.jpg

12. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    lookin' good. what size tires are you planning to run?

13. MNorby

35s or 36s probably

14. MNorby

better pics

DSC03464.JPG

DSC03436.JPG

15. Moody

Moody 1/2 ton status

I've got a couple of questions if you don't mind....I'm in the process of doing the same thing with my 70. With the shackle flip and 56's did you use a stock 56 inch spring? I would like to get 6 inches in the back using 56's and five inches in the front using a four inch spring and a zero rate. With a stock 56 and shackle flip about how much lift did you get?

16. MNorby

i didn't measure the rear but before I lifted it was level. The front gave me exactly 4" lift and with the 6 leaf+overlad pack of 56s it is 2.5" taller in the rear than front. I dropped the overload to drop the rear some and I took the zero rates out of my buggy today to put in the front but haven't yet. Sounds like the same setup you plan on