Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52" and 57" spring questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 23, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

52\" and 57\" spring questions...

Okay I am getting confused about the 52" springs up front. They give you approx. 4" of lift right? And do I have to make new shackles for it? Becuase I thought someone said you didn't, but in kidjethro's posts, it showed he made his own shackle.

2nd,
    With the ford 57" springs in the rear, do they give any lift? And will the chevy shackle flip work with them? Or do I have to buy lift springs for a 80's f-150? I hope I made sense. Thanks to whom can help /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

EDIT:
    Oh, and I was hoping that I do have 57"'s already, but can someone clarify that I do, It's a 2wd 80's custom f-150. The springs at the back are 2.5 wide, and there are coil springs in the front. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

Re: 52\" and 57\" spring questions...

as long as the f-150 is 2wd it should have the 2.5" wide springs I think the 4wd version has the 3" wide springs /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif not sure about the othe stuff...

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i think the 1/2 ton had the 2.5" wide springs and the 3/4 ton had the 3"

4. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I posted similar awhile ago and got no clear answers /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

lol, I guess I mis-wrote my post, I am asking also if the springs I have are 57"? The only way I can check is to measure, but I can't get a tape measure in because the trucks to low to the ground and whatnot.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

not sure if they put the 57" in the 2wd but i would think so,

BTW, ford used coil springs in the front of 4wd f150s as well as the 2wd

7. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Okay I am getting confused about the 52" springs up front. They give you approx. 4" of lift right? And do I have to make new shackles for it? Becuase I thought someone said you didn't, but in kidjethro's posts, it showed he made his own shackle.

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll give ya 4-5" of lift from what most people will say. Thats if you use the stock 4" shackles. I couldn't use them cause while flexed, the spring bottomed out on the frame. I made the longer 6" shackles to keep the springs off the frame. And with them being 2" longer, I got an addition 1" of lift. However much longer over stock you make the shackles, you get half that in additional lift. So in my case, probably 5-6" of lift over stock. Don't forget that ya have to move the front mount on the frame forward as well. You can use the stock length shackles of course, but the spring almost certainly will bottom on the frame. Another thing to account for, is the width of the bushings on the stocks front springs vs. the width of the bushings on the rears. Both springs are the same width, but the busings are not. The front springs have another 1/4" or so of bushing on either side of the spring. The rear springs do not have that. That lack of extra bushing requires a shackle thats narrower than the stock ones to make up for the lack of bushing. Or you can do like Sandman did, and cut the ends off some old bushings, and add those as "bushing washers on eiterside of the springs.
    You can see how I made my shackles in this picture. The shackle itself is 3/8"x2" flatbar 8" long, with the holes 6" oc. I welded in the 1/4" spacer on eiterside to make up for the lack of "extra" bushing.

[​IMG]
    You also have to do the same to the front spring hanger.

This is what the stock front springs look like..
    [​IMG]

Alot of extra bushing there. I probably could have used 3/8" spacers instead of the 1/4" ones. Thats about how much bushing there is on either side of the spring. hehe, I'm not makin another set, so [darn] it! lol, that little bit of play in there can help things flex a bit better. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

This is Sandmans rig...Instead of welding in a spacer, he was lucky to have an old set of bushings to cut up and use for spacers instead. ALOT faster that way. This is the front hanger of course- Notice the green bushing in there..

That should pretty much cover it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, If anyone wants to do this swap, but doesn't want to deal with makin the schackles themselves, shoot me a PM. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

I had posted a question (or replied to a post before) regarding this?
    Isn't it aweful convenient that those extra holes exist to move that spring bracket/hanger forward for the 52" /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif ?????
    so, anyone know why?
    and also, that pic you sent along of sandman's rig, was that w/o the angle bracket welded and bolted in place? I mean the one that was behind the spring hanger before the 52s got moved forward?
    the ford swap sounds pretty cool too, but it's so funny how no one knows jack about fords around here! (with good reason).

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Kidjethro,
    So all you used is 3/8" x 2" flat metal 8" long, Then you welded in the metal spacers instead of bushings? So all I have to do is buy a piece of flatbar 2x8" 3/8" thick, drill the 2 holes, and either copy you and weld in metal spacers, or use bushings? Do you have a picture of how you did your front spring hanger? Thanks I feel more confident /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    and also, that pic you sent along of sandman's rig, was that w/o the angle bracket welded and bolted in place? I mean the one that was behind the spring hanger before the 52s got moved forward?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a progress pic. the "L" bracket then goes in the front and boltes on. I had to cut mine down and ended up doing some welding as the front bumper thing had a brace there.

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

get the shop you buy the flatbar from to punch the holes in their Ironworker for you
    I paid $20 to have them make mine for me

IIRC stock springs are wider then the aftermarket ones that are posted in this thread
    been a long time since I looked at stock springs though

12. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    Kidjethro,
    So all you used is 3/8" x 2" flat metal 8" long, Then you welded in the metal spacers instead of bushings? So all I have to do is buy a piece of flatbar 2x8" 3/8" thick, drill the 2 holes, and either copy you and weld in metal spacers, or use bushings? Do you have a picture of how you did your front spring hanger? Thanks I feel more confident /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats pretty much correct. You'll need enough 3/8" x 2" flat bar to make 4- 8" pieces= 32" actually. Also keep in mind that the holes in the shackles are not both the same size. The lower hole is IIRC, 5/8" and the upper is 5/16". 5/16" bit is no problem to find...but the 5/8" bit is a bit tougher. I didn't haveone, so I went to buy one, but $25 for a bit I would only use once was not happenin. So I had to call a couple friends and borrow one. A reason why mj's suggestion is a good one- Have a shop punch or drill the holes for ya.

As for the pictures of how I did the front shackles...Thats the only thing I didn't take a picture of. I can get them for ya though. No problem. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay if you don't mind pics would be great. Thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Kidjethro, if you don't mind, PM the pics to me too, that way when this thread disappears I can just go to my messages and find it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

i could also use a pic of the front spring hanger, and what holes do you use when you move it up /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif i got my front springs, and im just waiting for some cross over steering before i do the swap /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif thanks.

16. Zeus33rd

This is cool...Forst time I've ever gotten to make a post from work. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anyways, this is the only picture I havwe right now of the front spring hanger. You can see the 2 bolts in the picture, just behind those you can see the original holes the hanger was bolted to in the stock location. It's pretty convient that the holes are were they are. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    [​IMG]

I'll try to get some more detailed pics of the front hanger this weekend. My "shop" and the truck are at my gramps place, so I can't just go outside and take pictures...Appt. life sucks. heh /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So you just used the stock holes for the hanger? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Zeus33rd

Yup. Stock holes and the welder. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Okay Thanks, then when you go to where your rig is at, you can snap some more pics if you remember to bring the camera /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Okay Thanks, then when you go to where your rig is at, you can snap some more pics if you remember to bring the camera /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No problemo. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif